PDA

View Full Version : fall clean up pricing

Larson Lawn Care
08-20-2009, 11:17 PM
In the past I have bid leaf clean ups onsite. I would pull up, find out how many leaves were there and then I would give them the price. Last year I started to tell the customers an hourly rate; most of them were shocked to hear the hourly rate. I would then tell them that we can cap the price after "x" amount of hours. Several went with it, but it scared some away. I hate to tell my customers an hourly rate, but I don't know how else to price the jobs. How do you charge for leaf clean ups?

MileHigh
08-20-2009, 11:25 PM
The same way you have...and I too hate it.

Larson Lawn Care
08-20-2009, 11:43 PM
I wish I had so many customers that it wouldn't matter to scare some off, but with only about 30 potential leaf clean up customers I want to get as many of them as possible.

patriotlawn375
08-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Here's how i play it, if it's a yard you normally mulch then you are going to have to add atleast an extra hour to it if mowing up leaves. Plus you have the cost of extra supplies. Now your other option, not really an option for most, but would be to either tarp them and haul them off, if you have somewhere to dump them.

For mowing: Current rate + extra time + $20 ( +/- depending on how often you do it.)
pick up/ Haul: WHatever you feel it's worth + gas + dumping fee ( if any)

Smallaxe
08-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Depending on accessability, set a rate by the truckload. Just like the ones that are mowed, figure out how many truckloads there are and place the estimate for all.
Blowing Oakleaves can be done in 2 or 3 hours per truckload, if I can 3 loads out of a job, per week.
I just need to figure out how much money I want for a 6 - 9 hour day.

You should charge enough per hour, for the blower only, to buy a new blower every 50 - 100 hours.

baddboygeorge
08-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Thats why you have to show them what you can do , I operate a 3 man crew at 150 an hour but what I can do in an hour would take a homeowner a week. They change there mind after they see the action!

TrashBagPopper
08-25-2009, 07:51 PM
I know bagging leaves and grass is a drag, but is a lot easier when using The Trash Bag Popper. Don't be fooled with the "knock-off." This product will keep the bag open, prevent sharp objects from puncturing the bag and will actually lay on its side keeping the bag open allowing you to rake or sweep leaves or clippings right into the bag. It works better than you can imagine!Check it out!

http://www.trashbagpopper.com

baddboygeorge
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
if your bidding leaf work by a flat rate your losing money! Never do a leaf job on flat pay scale , leaf work can fool ya!

TuffWork
08-28-2009, 01:25 AM
I too have had that problem. People think it's ridiculous when you tell them your hourly rate. Most people know nothing about overhead, etc. I just bid it and do it, anymore. Win some lose some.

Luckily, I've finally started to get a good chunk of customers who would rather me just do it first. Then, give them a price when I'm done. They know I charge reasonably so they aren't worried about it. (or their just effin rich and could care less)

kestes0704
08-28-2009, 01:37 AM
I charge $30.00 per man hr and $7.50 per tarp removed. I also then explain to the customer that we are there to work not eat lunch and take breaks. I have not had anyone complain of final price yet.

shane mapes
08-28-2009, 01:47 AM
what i do is figure out in my head how long it will take & add one man hour for extras & oops i under bid then hope for the best. never give the hour rate fro me.

baddboygeorge
08-28-2009, 02:32 AM
How many of you all have ever raked an bagged leaves, thats the method 99% of all homeowners have to accomplish, thats a very time consuming method . In this day an time who has the time to rake a yard?? The best marketing tool for leaf work is to demonstrate your ability!
If you plan on a successful leaf operation you need the rite equipment, the three must haves are , a loader, good back pack blower ,an someway to move piles of leaves quickly (I.E mower with leaf plow , 4 wheeler etc.)You also need a few guys that work well together an know the procedures to leaf work if not things can get complicated an frustrating!When you get an operation down pat you can rock an roll in the leaf business.When that takes place leaf work can be a very lucrative operation. I can promise ya leaf work is not easy work , its dirty , dusty, stinky,down rite hard work an takes a few years to get the bugs worked out of a good solid leaf program. I promise, if you invest wisely in this seasonal operation, build a good solid clientel, do a good job , your phone will be ringing off the hook,,,
I started working in the Lawn an Garden industry in 1983 alot has changed since then. In 1994 I went on my own in business I knew leaf season was a must . I saw the need for leaf work. Every year since then I have catered to my leaf operation. I never dreamed 15 years later I would have over 230 leaf customers an generating a leaf revenue of 50k plus . Guys its out there if you want it. I see so many companies that pass up this season in all , its great for me cause I keep building my leaf customers one leaf at a time!!