PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall help

bmh1202
04-24-2002, 11:17 PM
I need some help on a retaining wall project. I've got a 7-8 ft bank that I'm using railroad ties on. No problem there. Were I'm stumped is on the ends. The guy has steep driveway that runs perpendicular to the wall, he wants block to wrap around from the end of the ties to the top of the drive. My question is how do I tie the two together?

Lanelle
04-24-2002, 11:37 PM
Changing materials on a wall is problematic. I recommend calling Binkley and Ober for info on a Versa-Lok Wall (Ask for John Morris to answer your questions). That will be a more permanent wall and the technical data that you need will be available. A timber wall will need to be dug out so much further into the hill for the deadmen, causing so much extra distrubance to the site, I much prefer the segmental retaining walls.

Stonehenge
04-25-2002, 07:26 PM
Although if this is a 7-8' tall bank, with vehicular surcharge, he's gonna have lotsa diggin' either way - grid or deadmen.

Talk him outta the timbers - their gonna rot anyway. Over the course of 20 years it's going to cost him twice as much to use timbers, because they'll have to be built twice, compared to once with segmental retaining wall block. (Unless you've already started with the timbers)