PDA

View Full Version : What weed is this and how do I kill it?

Homecutter
08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
This weed has spread like crazy in my Floratam over the past few months (I'm located in central FL). It spreads in circular carpet-like patches with some being rather large (20 ft in diameter). It's fairly dense and is choking out my grass in areas. I searched for a few hours but could not find an exact match online. It does not have flowers. The closest match I found was sorrels but that's not quite it.

I don't want to just guess and start praying chemicals. I would prefer to know before I spray.

Please, I beg you all..... TELL ME HOW TOP KILL THIS WEED!!!!:waving:

hughmcjr
08-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Looks like Prostate Knotweed:

http://uspest.org/weeds/id/Prostrate_knotweed--Polygonum_aviculare--m.l.jpg

http://weedid.aces.uiuc.edu/imgview.cfm?ImageFile=weeds/244L.gif&WeedName=Knotweed&ImageDescription=leaves%20%26%20stem&factor=0.5

GREEN-UP
08-22-2009, 07:16 AM
looks like knotweed

RAlmaroad
08-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Spurge--use metsurfuron for quick knockdown. Stuff has millions of seeds so you may need a pre-emerge like Gallery to slow it till cooler when you can use a little Atrazine.

kirk1701
08-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Can someone tell me if this is the same thing I have going here:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3151989&postcount=14

Think the post got missed during all the other replies.

greendoctor
08-23-2009, 03:16 AM
This is the other good use of Tuflon Ester. Metsulfuron is only good for warm season grasses or pure stands of KBG. It is damaging to most other species of cool season grasses. You have clover. A Three Way amine will also work on this if you add a nonionic surfactant to the spray. Fall is actually the better time to deal with this weed.

Heidi J.
08-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Can someone tell me if this is the same thing I have going here:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3151989&postcount=14

Think the post got missed during all the other replies.

Yes, this is Prostate Knotweed, that you have. But the homeowner that posted this thread has Spurge. Like Greendoctor said, a good 3-way (use a sticker) can kill both. It will take a few apps. though, because that spurge has a waxy coating on it (summer weed). Spurge spreads like wild fire once introduce to a lawn. It needs to be sprayed, hire a professional :)

Good luck!

kirk1701
08-23-2009, 10:50 AM
This is the other good use of Tuflon Ester. Metsulfuron is only good for warm season grasses or pure stands of KBG. It is damaging to most other species of cool season grasses. You have clover. A Three Way amine will also work on this if you add a nonionic surfactant to the spray. Fall is actually the better time to deal with this weed.

greendoctor you lost me, or I'm a bit confused; are you saying I need both herbs now or is Metsulfuron part of TE?

LOL this lawn care stuff is turning into be worse then studying for my Microsoft certifications :drinkup:

Homecutter
08-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think you guys nailed in with the Knotweed!

I looked at the recommended treatments and this is what I found:

Turflon Ester - not available in Florida.

Metsulfuron- seems to be a rare. Zero finds on Ebay and only 1 on Google shopping - $35 for 2 oz.

Atrazine- I have plenty of this but I'm concerned about temperatures here in FL right now 90°+ daily. What do you guys think about using Atrazine above 90°F?

greendoctor
08-23-2009, 01:47 PM
greendoctor you lost me, or I'm a bit confused; are you saying I need both herbs now or is Metsulfuron part of TE?

LOL this lawn care stuff is turning into be worse then studying for my Microsoft certifications :drinkup:

Metsulfuron is a totally different chemical from TE. For one thing, it kills fescue. TE will not kill well irrigated fescue that does not have preexisting heat damage.

greendoctor
08-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think you guys nailed in with the Knotweed!

I looked at the recommended treatments and this is what I found:

Turflon Ester - not available in Florida.

Metsulfuron- seems to be a rare. Zero finds on Ebay and only 1 on Google shopping - $35 for 2 oz.

Atrazine- I have plenty of this but I'm concerned about temperatures here in FL right now 90°+ daily. What do you guys think about using Atrazine above 90°F?

Then hire a licensed applicator. Before you choke at the cost of metsulfuron, know that it is applied at a rate of 1/4-1/2 oz per 43,560 sq ft, not per gallon. Atrazine in high temperature conditions is not a good idea. If this is also the rainy season, absolutely not.

Homecutter
10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I've yet to attack the Knotweed. It pisses me off to look at it!

The temp has recently dropped to highs in the 80's here in Orlando. You guys think its safe to spray Atrazine now?

Thanks for the feedback!

ArTurf
10-02-2009, 10:25 PM
In one of the pictures it looks like lespedeza. Metsulforon is the most effective. 3-ways will affect it but may take more applications. It is not practical for the homeowner to apply Metsulforon. Like it was mentioned, 1/4 to 1/2 oz per acre.