PDA

View Full Version : Best pattern for a 3 foot wide walk.

White Gardens
08-21-2009, 11:57 PM
I've got 300 feet of 3 foot paver sidewalk to install.

What do you guys recommend for the pattern. The HO is leaning towards a Whitacre clay paver.

As narrow as the sidewalk is, I'd like to stay away from a Soldier course and use concrete as my restraint.

Any thoughts or experiences ??

Mid-Ohio Scaper
08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
What kind of person asks this kind of question?:confused:

Chilehead
08-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Herringbone pattern.

White Gardens
08-22-2009, 01:24 AM
What kind of person asks this kind of question?:confused:

Someone that's knows how to construct a paver sidewalk, but never one this small in width.

White Gardens
08-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Herringbone pattern.

That's what I was thinking all along, it would give me the tightest lock in such a small width. I was seeing if anyone has used a different pattern and had good luck.

I was trying not to cut the edges of the brick, but I think that's what's going to happen.

The Herringbone will also help break up the horizontal and vertical lines of the house.

zedosix
08-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Is it all straight or are there curves. If curves then runner bond is best. With no soldier course.

Tim C.
08-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Use a sailor course if you decide to go with the herringbone pattern. Why such a narrow walk? I usually try for at least 4 ft. wide?

White Gardens
08-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Is it all straight or are there curves. If curves then runner bond is best. With no soldier course.

Curves. But, one curve is going to be pretty tight, so I know that if I do a running bond then I'll have to cut a bunch of pavers in order to make the curve. I'm also afraid that the running bond will look bad with all the lines of the new siding that has been installed on the house. I like the idea of the look of a herringbone.

Use a sailor course if you decide to go with the herringbone pattern. Why such a narrow walk? I usually try for at least 4 ft. wide?

The walk is narrow because that is the size of the existing walk. With the space allocated, I feel I need to keep it as narrow as possible as the walk has more ascetic appeal rather than a high traffic walk. Ultimately though, the width will be indicative of the tear out of the existing and what mini-skid I'll be using.

Here's a link to the design. Posts #64 - #80

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=272897&page=7