PDA

View Full Version : Perennial Rye Overseed Help

Mike75
08-22-2009, 12:44 AM
I am in the Oklahoma City area, and would like to overseed my bermuda lawn with perennial rye. I will be cutting the rye at 1.5" and want to achieve baseball infield quality. I plan to overseed at a rate of ~20lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft.

1. What is the best blend of perennial rye grass to do this? What is a reasonable price for 100 lbs. of the seed?

2. When should I apply the seed? Should I apply at half the rate one week apart or all of it at the same time?

3. ANY suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Az Gardener
08-22-2009, 01:38 AM
20 lbs is a heavy application rate I think that is almost greens rate. Something I just learned is rye is aleopathic sp? it puts out a chem that inhibits the Bermudas growth. So the more seed you put down the more damage you do to the Bermuda even if you are mowing lower.

Look for a Wilber Ellis they supply golf courses and have some great seed, should cost you less than a buck a pound. I would go down at 10-12 per K and it will be beautiful and not cause your Bermuda so much grief. I would imagine you should get started pretty soon. Golf courses will start here in 19 days and will be seeding through mid Oct.

Spray your Bermuda with a PGR a week before you scalp. This will buy you a month of Bermuda suppression so it doesn't pop right back and then brown out when it gets cold and be all mixed in with the rye.

Scalp the lawn down, you need seed to soil contact. Don't verticut you need all the stored starches you can salvage for the spring. Over seeding is tough on Bermuda.

Put all the seed down at once keep it moist watering several times a day very short run times, don't water after 4 or 5 pm it should pop in 5-7 days and at 10 days hit it with a 6-20-20

You should be mowing in 21 days. Be sure you shut down the rye in May or when soil temps are in the mid 60s and don't let it go too long or it will wreck your Bermuda.

Mike75
08-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Thank you Az Gardner. If anyone else has any tips, especially those of you in the OKC area, I would really appreciate it.