PDA

View Full Version : Ants...coming in

fall46
08-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I have read several posts on products etc to use for ant control. I'm up in MN and have an influx of what I believe are sugar ants coming into the house. We have kids and have made a conscious effort to limit eating to just the kitchen but they seem to targeting 1 bedroom in particular. Now I have a exterminator coming over tomorrow He's planning on spraying exterior etc, but am a bit nervous about him spraying the inside due to my kids being young and on the floors often. Any one product I should request for the interior with the kid issue in mind? Would baits me more appropriate? It sounds like for specific ants you want to use a certain product or you run the risk of trapping inside the wall......Anything you can share would be appreciated. I like to ensure the approach and product he suggests makes sense

Thanks in advance

FdLLawnMan
08-22-2009, 08:51 AM
He most likely will use something like Suspend or Tempo or some other Pyrethoid. Those can be used in a commercial kitchen if the food is covered. I would also request ant baits be put out as that is the only way to kill the queen which need to be done.
P.S. They must have found some food.

A.T.A.K
08-22-2009, 09:30 AM
He most likely will use something like Suspend or Tempo or some other Pyrethoid. Those can be used in a commercial kitchen if the food is covered. I would also request ant baits be put out as that is the only way to kill the queen which need to be done.
P.S. They must have found some food.

well you could try the phantom crack and crevase treatment on the inside. Then follow up with termidor outside (would be my choice). These are non repellants and will keep you from trapping th inside, but this is hard to make the call with out knowing which ants you are dealing with. These 2 products are very effective on social insects. Baits are another option but much slower feel free to pm me
Posted via Mobile Device

fall46
08-22-2009, 10:07 AM
lets assume they are sugar ants or pavement ants

bug-guy
08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
i agree with A.T.A.K. TERMIDOR outside is awesome on ants. be carefull on baits inside the home, if they are coming from outside, you will atract them to the inside. most ant activity coming from outside can be addressed from there, with minimal inside spraying.

fall46
08-22-2009, 11:37 AM
He sprayed Temprid SC by Bayer around the foundation..and in a few spots inside. Any comments on this product?

fall46
08-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Here is some links regarding the product

General Info
http://bayerinsights.com/BayerInsights/Article.asp?ArticleCode=283P49L5I31&EditionCode=57P36L5I59

Label
http://www.backedbybayer.com/BAYER/CropScience/BackedByBayer.nsf/2DFED65D1DEA3B458525755F0057C794/$FILE/Temprid%20SC%20400ml%20432-1483%20080912A%20ML.pdf

MSDS

http://www.pctonline.com/msds/msds/bayer/Temprid%20SC%20MSDS.pdf

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-22-2009, 11:58 AM
I personally would have used a different product... Temprid is a combo of Tempo & Premise. Termidor & Phantom is probably a better combo, but IS more costly...

bx24
08-22-2009, 12:39 PM
i agree with A.T.A.K. TERMIDOR outside is awesome on ants. be carefull on baits inside the home, if they are coming from outside, you will atract them to the inside. most ant activity coming from outside can be addressed from there, with minimal inside spraying.

Good to know on Termindor..I just bought 2 bottles.

A.T.A.K
08-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-22-2009, 01:02 PM

Have you used, or had any feedback on Optigard Flex from Syngenta? My rep from Univar has been pushing me to try some, so I just ordered a case. Non repellent with indoor & outdoor label...

fall46
05-03-2010, 11:15 PM
After seeing a few more of these dam sugar ants in the basment I put some Hot Shot MaxAttrax Ultra Ant Killing Gel in a few cracks in the basement floor. I go back down and and now there is 20 ants in the crack circling around. Now I figure they will be dead soon etc......But did I just attract more that are probably underneath the slab to all start making there way towards the light of day (basement floor crack? Was this a mistake? The permiter has yet to be sprayed this year....

Boomer Sooner
05-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Temprid SC is a new product formulation- Tempo/ Merit in one mix
so you have a contact and residual control, tests I have seen, it performed better than Phantom and Termidor, broad spectrum label

I am testing this product now but too soon to say