PDA

View Full Version : New website, BirchfieldGardening.com

gardening200
08-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Hello everyone!

Birchfield Gardening would like your feedback on our website. Suggestions welcome!

I hope you enjoy the website and any comments are appreciated.
www.BirchfieldGardening.com

Thank you!

---

Kiril
08-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Generally looks OK ... but .....

Don't like the flash intro, and to be honest, don't really see a need for it. You should at least provide a way to skip it and for browsers that don't support it for whatever reason, auto forward the request to the real home page.

Pictures need ALOT of work. You should hire someone who knows how to post edit photos.

Also, I don't really like the inline frames. I would dump the iframes and perhaps change your client page to a "portfolio" or gallery page with thumbnails instead of forcing download of those full size pics.

Personally, I don't see the value in testimonials. A note that references are available upon request would suffice here.

Now on the technical side .... the code is a mess!

Az Gardener
08-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree the pictures need some work. Way too much concrete and street vs landscape. Your first picture the lawn has some big brown spots on the edge.

Another thing is I have no idea where you operate. The only clues are your 805 prefix and the Santa Maria burger king you service as hints. Oh and the central coast, but again I don't know what coast.

mikey.hill
08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Flash didn't display in my browser(FF/linux). Granted you won't get alot of linux users it's still good practice to make things visible for everyone and I really never have problems viewing flash sites unless the code running them is messed up. Other than that, it looks good and gets your message across. One last thing that really caught my eye is that the right border(dark green) is a few pixels larger than the others. Not a big deal, but it really sticks out.

mikey.hill
08-25-2009, 12:32 PM
I just looked on that companies site that did your design. They've got some very strange stuff like this batman vs. the warewolf gem. http://emotechnal.com/flash/FinalProjectGomez4.html

RedSquareLandscaping
08-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Very nice website, I love the intro even though you should put a "skip" under it in case they do not have Java or Adobe Flash. Pics are nice but need editing. Maybe try to use Google Picasa and not too far away, people like in depth and close The farther you get the less interesting it is

mdvaden
08-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Almost certain I commented on this site elsewhere. Pretty much like it. Seems the images was the only thing I pointed out in another comment, which is an easy upgrade.

RedSquareLandscaping
08-25-2009, 10:07 PM
i said you could use picasa to edit those pics

gardening200
08-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Thank you for all your comments! Much appreciated.

-Added Skip button
-Removed bright and street/concrete pictures

Im on ubuntu and the flash worked fine under firefox. First time hearing that the flash didnt work. Strange.

The right border wasnt thicker but there was a division line in it is for some reason, a strange optical illusion. Fixed that.

Thank you for recommending picasa. Will think more about thumbnail type portfolio.

Will try to fix some more of the pictures. Just didnt want the pictures to seem too superficial will alot of editing done to them. But even then, the camera default doesnt really take an exact sample of the work.

And for future reference, any tips on taking good pictures? (time of day? camera settings? camera type?)

mikey.hill
08-26-2009, 02:05 AM
Thank you for all your comments! Much appreciated.

-Added Skip button
-Removed bright and street/concrete pictures

Im on ubuntu and the flash worked fine under firefox. First time hearing that the flash didnt work. Strange.

The right border wasnt thicker but there was a division line in it is for some reason, a strange optical illusion. Fixed that.

Thank you for recommending picasa. Will think more about thumbnail type portfolio.

Will try to fix some more of the pictures. Just didnt want the pictures to seem too superficial will alot of editing done to them. But even then, the camera default doesnt really take an exact sample of the work.

And for future reference, any tips on taking good pictures? (time of day? camera settings? camera type?)

I'm on debian 64 bit .. are you on 32 or 64?

Raven386
08-26-2009, 02:14 AM
I would def. change clients to something else. I almost felt like I was going to see pictures of your customers. I didn't know it was going to take me to pictures of your work. I'm sure it has been discussed but where do you service? With taking a few minutes to look through your site I didn't see it jumping out at me anywhere.

RedSquareLandscaping
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
64 bit!!!!

mikey.hill
08-26-2009, 01:39 PM
64 bit!!!!

Good call... Why do the forums have a minimum of 10 character responses? That's pretty silly.

RedSquareLandscaping
08-26-2009, 01:41 PM
I know thats weird but were not the moderators

Isobel
11-26-2009, 05:50 PM
That flash intro and walking lady bugs are really annoying. the pictures really need to be tweaked, they're way too blue. other than that the setup of the site works well.