PDA

View Full Version : 300 impatiens changed color..why?

GarPA
04-25-2002, 08:10 AM
now heres a strange one...at least for me...last week I installed 300 salmon color impatiens for a customer. This is a real nice color in the landscape...yesterday the lady calls me and said they changed color and are now mostly pinkish!...went out to look and shes right...I use this color at my own house for years and never saw this happen...could it be the cooler weather we 're having here in PA? if I feed them will the 'salmon' color come bacK? Otherwise I will have to take them out and I dont blame the customer...I also dont want to replant and have the same darn thing happen again...nursey was no help when I asked them...thanks much..

LawnLad
04-25-2002, 12:13 PM
Were they flowering before this happened? You could see the color before hand and it was clearly salmon? If the blooms were not large, and therefore, the color not well defined, it could be that you thought you had salmon, but in fact had pink flowers - and they were mislabled coming from the grower.

Offer her a discount if you have to before you swap them out, as this will be cheaper than actually having to pull and replace them. Then make sure your vendor is selling properly labeled plants. Sometimes there is a goof - but it is important to get what you pay for.

Other than this, I can' think of any reason they would change color.

GarPA
04-25-2002, 03:13 PM
Lawnlad...yep they were defintely salmon with big flowers on when I bought them....the weirder part is I bought them at 2 different places...and they both turned pink....I've used salmon in my own planting beds for years and never saw this happen....maybe its all this strange weather....customer does not want pink...hates pink....so I'll exchange them, get my money back, and tell her if it happens with the next batch she'll have to live with them...I'm not going to plant them 2 more times thats for sure..

lawnboy11
04-25-2002, 04:38 PM
could it be that the pH of the soil is affecting thew color? This happens with hydrangea flowers (either blue or pink) depending on soil acidity. Or , if they are in a real sunny spot maybe they bleached or got frosted? A little early to plant imps here. I always wait until may 15th. Keep us posted as to the cause.

BigJim
04-25-2002, 07:36 PM
Yep just be patient,if you saw them flowering before you planted,thats the colour they are,they wont change their colour overnight,As the other posts suggest if its still early season the plants would have been grown in a nice warm greenhouse,as impatiens need very warm temperatures to germinate,now you've put them out in the colder temperatures I think they are just reacting to it.Impatiens are a summer plant they like the heat,people here try to grow them earlier every season but they never do well till the warm temperatures day and night kick in.If you replant them I would bet the same thing will happen again.Cheers........

heygrassman
04-25-2002, 08:52 PM
could it be that the pH of the soil is affecting thew color?

Was thinking the same thing...

LawnLad
04-26-2002, 09:07 AM
No answers yet - but while doing a search, I did find a bedding plant performance report that is pretty interesting. It's a PDF file about 40 pages long, so it will take a moment to pull up. If you want information on cultivars of various annual plantings that have performed well in trials... check this out.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/floriculture/hrs/hrs133.pdf

GarPA
04-26-2002, 05:36 PM
thanks alot guys for your 2 cents....I had about half a flat left over...put the damn things IN DIRECT SUN (a no no later in the season obviously)this week...guess what?? they went from pink to SALMON!!!
you guys were right....its about temperature...I know most of us say this but we are so lucky to have this web site....and the great people who help each other out...the information we all get is enormous and would take many years to come by by trial and error....so THANK YOU TO THE SPONSORS WHO MAKE THIS SITE POSSIBLE!!!...and to all of you who share so unselfishly....now if we could just be as friendly to each other when we bump into each other at the gas station....that really amazes me how we act like another person in this biz is going to make us bankrupt...I really get a good chukle out of it frankly....thanks again POSIE POSSE!....