PDA

View Full Version : Channel drain

tthomass
08-22-2009, 09:29 AM
I've got a customer who we just contracted a paver driveway for. After the fact, he decided he wanted a channel drain/grate (the $50-$60 sections from Lowe's or Home Depot) installed across the front of the garage even though its not necessary but he wants it so thats fine.

The garage has a concrete floor, the current driveway is asphalt that will be excavated. Fabric, base etc all to be installed. My question is to how to properly install the drain across the threshold? My original thought was to form/pour concrete but thought I would see what "ya'll" have done in the past.

Did you just set in on top of the base to the height which is flush with the pavers? They're somewhere around 6", considerably more than a paver. I just don't want any sort of pivoting. In theory, the pavers would lock/hold it in place.

DVS Hardscaper
08-22-2009, 10:38 AM
No concrete needed.

Yep, Just set the top of the drain box(es) to grade with where the top of the pavers will be after compaction.

If it's a 2 car garage, then the box store drain will probably suffice. Home Depot has some decent NDS drain channel.

If they have a 3 car garage, I'd recommend you use Dura Slope drain system, which is not cheap. Yet, well worth it. Not available in the box stores.

Since you're a nat stone dude, Couple Quick Tips:

Be sure to use geo-textile fabric on this driveway this time :)

And since it's a driveway, use a ride on roller for compacting the aggregate. We do our aggregate bases 12" for vehicular use.

tthomass
08-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah we're using a roller. The driveway is 85'x18' paver surface. 18" base will be installed, with fabric. 2-car garage.

DVS Hardscaper
08-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Also, make sure you use PVC pipe to route the water away. Most of what NDS makes you can use flex tubing, 3" or 4" PVC. Flex tubing clogs (dirt from car's tires, dirt that washes off the cars in rains, etc).

tthomass
08-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Yes, PVC will be used.

paponte
08-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Ditto on the compacted aggregate base to grade. We also caulk along the cement side of the drain as well with self leveling, you you could just fill with poly.

forestfireguy
08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I would form and pour it. Not that much work and it will be more stable to vehicular traffic, especially if there is a "bump" up to the garage floor from the paver surface as is common in this area, if so the drain may have more of a tendency to roll with the load(as they aren't very wide). Certainly not saying it wouldn't be OK without but the formed and poured way is how I learned and I've never met much resistance as far a design or sales of the way I do those.

zedosix
08-26-2009, 08:56 PM
We installed one last summer at the end of a sloped driveway, drain was nds 4" with 6 separate grates. We cemented the base as per directions.

Stone Creations
08-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I usually cement the base in..alot stronger..you dont want that thing moving around under car tires..

DVS Hardscaper
08-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I stand corrected, I agree about using concrete in terms of vehicular use.