PDA

View Full Version : need help selecting shrubs by side walk

grass disaster
08-22-2009, 10:34 AM
we want to plant some type of srub ar possibly a hedge.

its not very wide. i'd like to leave those bricks in there. we used to have flowers in there but the wife said no more.

something taller maybe i thought would look cool. maybe something that needs trimming/shapping. you can see this from the road.

Tyler7692
08-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Trim your Weigela if thats what that is on the right.

It would be a wider bed if you got rid of the rock and the bricks and used the whole area, allowing you to put bigger shrubs in.

Something VERY slow growing for sure.

Boxwoods?

PerfectEarth
08-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Whatever goes there will have to be kept trimmed. Maybe some boxwoods, skip laurels, sky pencil holly. You could get something in espallier form like a magnolia or a pyracantha... something evergreen that is going to be kept tight on that wall. I would absolutely remove all of those edging bricks and stones- give yourself more options and planting space. Then you could get some larger height by the door and step it down as you move out with a different foundation plant.

GreenLight
08-23-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree with Perfect Earth pretty much on everything. If you want short and compact and perfect, dwarf english boxwood is a good choice...If you want tall and impressive I would go Sky Pencil Holly and just keep it cropped..

Isobel
08-28-2009, 08:19 PM
my only further question for you to consider is where is the snow coming off the roof from that garage? is it sliding off and hitting any potential shrub going in that spot? b/c that could be a factor in whatever you plant.

and also what sort of drainage do you have going there?

tinye
09-09-2009, 12:34 PM
good ole nandina would work...green leaves in spring with white flowers, and the leaves go to red in fall and get red berries, gets maybe 6 ft high with enough sun, add some var. liriope as undergowth..but I like the sky pencil suggestion as well, more of a formal look, maybe add one to the other side as well..both in pots maybe

GrazerZ
09-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Just remember whatever you plant there you will have to throw snow over in the winter. Thats why i would go with a nice perennial bed area.