PDA

View Full Version : Hydroseeders

grassman222
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I was wondering if anyone owns a hydroseeder and weither they are worth adding to my business . I was looking at the Turbo turf 300 gal. model but i never ran one before so im unsure weither to spend the money to try and drum up more buisness. Well any information on any hydroseeder would be nice . which ones junk, which one is hard to work with , ect. any info Thanks :usflag: :confused:

stuvecorp
08-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Do you do any seeding right now? Do some searching here and check out the IAHP(hydroseed assoc.), they have some information.

grassman222
08-22-2009, 05:14 PM
i do power seeding but on some jobs you just seem like your wasteing so much time. it takes so long so i figure hydroseeding would speed something up hopefully it would speed it up alot so i can actually make somme money :)

westernmdlawn
08-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I recently added hydroseeding to my service offerings. I found it to be very profitable with a great deal of potential if I pursue it. Unfortunately though, I have decided to relocate to another area and as a result I plan to sell off most of my equipment. I just bought a Turbo Turf HS-500-XPW (trailer mounted) unit. It is awesome, and I can sell it pretty reasonable if you are interested. I want $6,500 for it. It comes with 200' of hose and 5 spray nozzles. It is a very low hours machine, also it is last years model. I went up to the factory in Beaver Falls and picked it up this spring. Email me if interested: brian@westernmdlandscape.com

grassman222
08-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Wow nice setup . I'm still up in the air with what i should do because i dont want to spend that kind of money and no one want to pay for the service if you know what i mean . i know around here people have cut back on lawns and landscaping because there tight on money .Talking to my fellow landscapers who ive know for many years a few of them are going out of business so lack of a better way to say it (I'm Scared) :( :eek: . Now i have another question how did you price jobs , like what did you get per square foot ?

fl-landscapes
08-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Wow nice setup . I'm still up in the air with what i should do because i dont want to spend that kind of money and no one want to pay for the service if you know what i mean . i know around here people have cut back on lawns and landscaping because there tight on money .Talking to my fellow landscapers who ive know for many years a few of them are going out of business so lack of a better way to say it (I'm Scared) :( :eek: . Now i have another question how did you price jobs , like what did you get per square foot ?

Dont be scared.....seperate yourself from the pack and diversify your services. In NJ you should be able to sell plenty of Hydroseeding. You'll get sub work from the landscapers who dont own one. Go for it I say.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-29-2009, 11:28 PM
6500 for any hydroseeder is dirt cheap lol

i think his model there is in the 8k+ range new.

you think that costs a lot, look at FINN stuff, i looked at one 3 yrs ago, was in the 40k range... guy even told me, if your not using this thing every day in business, its not for you... i agreed lol

stuvecorp
08-30-2009, 01:52 AM
6500 for any hydroseeder is dirt cheap lol

i think his model there is in the 8k+ range new.

you think that costs a lot, look at FINN stuff, i looked at one 3 yrs ago, was in the 40k range... guy even told me, if your not using this thing every day in business, its not for you... i agreed lol

At least he was honest.

I find it funny that just about everyone runs out and buys a harley rake but whines that a hydroseeder is too expensive. If you are doing residential a jet machine will work fine.

grassman222
08-30-2009, 07:27 AM
I think thats not a bad price for the machine , i know that they are around $8,000 new. i just dont know.anymore info feel free .

Turboguy
08-30-2009, 08:56 AM
The pull type unit in the photo new is $ 10,695.00. That is a really good buy that someone should jump on.

As far as the question about how to price hydro seeding it is usually priced by the sq. ft., bigger jobs by the acre of course. Prices can vary a lot. I would say in most areas about 8 cents a sq. ft. is average. Big roadside jobs may go for as low as 3 cents but for residential lawns an average lawn 8 cents, a small job may go as high as 20 or 30 cents but it is more under a minimum charge. (my minimum is $ 250) For example, yesterday I did a job a 2000 sq. ft. job at 17.5 cents a foot) Bigger jobs may be less. I price large lawns at $ 2400-2800 per acre. Others may be higher or lower but it might give you some idea.

Stuvecorp mentioned the hydro seeding association. I would highly suggest that anyone in hydro seeding join it. It is the best $ 100.00 you will ever spend. Half my work comes from that membership. The website is hydroseeding.org

This year there is not as much new home construction seeding as there has been in the past but there is still lots of commercial work and lots of lawn re-do's. I keep as busy as I want to be or more with the hydro seeding part of my business. One of the nice things about a smaller machine in the 300 or 500 gallon size is that a lot of the guys with big machines won't touch someone redoing their front lawn or fixing damage from something like new sewer lines being installed and those are high price and high profit jobs that only take a few minutes. That job I talked about yesterday, I was there all of 20 minutes. I charged the guy $ 350.00 and had less than $ 50 in materials.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-30-2009, 12:24 PM
That is a nice unit

westernmdlawn
09-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes this unit works extremely well. I am super pleased with its performance, and the product in general that Turbo Turf puts out. It is an easy way to enter the market with an affordable, high quality machine. This unit is nearly $4,000 less than new but only 1 year old roughly.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-01-2009, 04:12 PM
emailed ya yesterday for a couple pictures of it, since im interested :) thanks

ajslawn
09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I am looking at adding hydro seeding as a side business. some residents but probably more construction. would you recommend mechanical or jet?

Turboguy
09-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Both jet and mechanical have thier advantages and disadvantages. Both work well.

Jet units are less expensive, less clean up, lower maintenance and easier to run. One person can run a jet unit with no problem.

Mechinical units will handle a little thicker slurry and will handle 100% wood mulches easily where it is a little trickier to spray 100% wood with a jet. (you can spray 50-50 or 70-30 ok). You might be able to run a mechanical machine with one person but two is much better.

If the commercial work is going to include much erosion control if it were me I might lean to a mechanical. Otherwise it is a toss up and you should be happy with either.

ajslawn
09-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm looking at a Reinco, 800 gallon 20hp Jet unit. does anyone know how this machine is for quality and working ability around $5000 would that be a great deal?

Turboguy
09-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Most Reinco jet units are "hydro_grassers" not hydro seeders. They are designed to spray seed and fertilizer with enough milch for a trace so you can see where you did. Then you blow straw over it for the mulch. Other jet units of course are one
step seeding. Reinco's 500 gallon unit with
the verticle paddle is a true hydroseeder but not the others.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslawn
09-03-2009, 02:39 PM
thank you for the info. what about a 2002 Turboturf 18hp 500 gallon. Would this unit be a good starter? And is it a true hydroseeder that would handle heavier mulches like 50-50 or 70-30 wood to paper? I just want to make a good choice and not regret it later. Is the fact that it is 300 gallon smaller than the reinco going to be that big of a deal? maybe get a nurse tank for it?

Turboguy
09-03-2009, 03:12 PM
A nurse tank is a nice way to go and does let you speed up things. With any hydro seeder getting the water can be the slow part of it. I have done jobs as big as 17 acres with a 500 and did them fast enough to suit me.

You should be able to handle 50-50 or 70-30 ok with that unit. Some mulches are easier to handle than others but you should be fine with it. There are some upgrades that could be done that are worth while should you get it. One in particular is about $ 60.00 and would let you do two more loads a day.

ajslawn
09-04-2009, 02:59 AM
what upgrade is that? How much mulch can this unit handle? The guy that has for sale said he only puts 100lbs mulch 50lb seed 25lb fert. per tank. That's not much mulch is it? would it take 150-200lbs? Or am I way of track here. I want to learn as much as possible about hydroseeding so i can be confident in what i say when selling my business. What would you say a good load would be in the Turboturf? I figure it will cover around 6000sq ft. does that sound right.

Turboguy
09-04-2009, 09:14 AM
There have been changes in the units. You mention 18 H.P. So I am assuming it is the 18 Kohler Command pro with the MGK-40 pump and not the older series with the 16 Kohler Magnum and the TSP-4 pump so it has the newest pump and motor on it. I am assuming it is the dual suction lines where they now have a bigger single suction which improves the power. That could be upgraded but it is some work and a little more money. The upgrade I mentioned is to the gun in which everything past the ball valve is replaced and goes from 3/4" to 1" and will speed up spraying about 25%. It involves a bushing, nipple, coupler and nozzle and is about $ 60.00 and very worth it.

I was out seeding yesterday with a 500 gallon with the 18. If you notice the small statement on my last post that it was posted with a mobile device. I was fillling my unit for the second load when I posted that. I usually use 120 pounds of mulch per tank just because that is the mix I like. I can put 150 in without a problem if I prefer. I have done that lots of times but have a little faster spraying with the 120 and it covers fast. I have no problem getting 6000+ with a load. Yesterdays job was 12,000 sq. ft. I did it in two loads and had about 100 gallons left when I was done. I would say you could do 150 pounds with paper if you want or 120 pounds of 70-30. Wood mulches make a thicker slurry per pound of mulch than paper so 120 would be about max. Hope that helps.

ajslawn
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Thank you very much for the info. I fell like I can make a could choice now. What would the suction hose upgrade cost? Is it possible to apply the 1500-2000lbs per acre that some jobs require? do you cut the seed rate and apply thicker coating?

Turboguy
09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I would ball park it at around $ 250 and it would probably involve 3-4 hours to make the upgrade.

Yes, the slower you go the more material you will apply and you could apply mulch a foot thick if you wanted to spray long enough. Applying 1500-2000 pounds per acre is not a problem. It just takes more time.

ajslawn
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks alot for your time and info its been helpful.