PDA

View Full Version : What To Use For Grubs In The Fall

JohnAW
08-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Here it is August 22 and it is 70 out and thinking of Fall Duties it came to mind that perhaps this is the best time to control grubs. My question is what should I be putting down on my lawn at this time of year to control the grubs? What brand name should I go with? Should I use a preventive or a curative product? *trucewhiteflag*

cudaclan
08-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Natural or chemical control. What zone.

If natural, Parasitic Nematodes. Will work in cold climates, but will not survive winter.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/pdf/nematodes.pdf/view

First VR4
08-24-2009, 09:32 AM
I am definitely not one to answer any questions here but I figured this would be a good place to share an experience. Last year, I believe late spring, my wife and I were outside and all of a sudden, looked like a hundred of these little beetles flew out of the ground. I've never seen anything like it before! Well later on that year I noticed an over abundance of (Japaneese?) these big colorful beetles in our pool. Then I noticed them eating the hell out of our pear tree (which did not make it)!
Well after talking to an older gentleman who seems to know more about insects than I do, which doesn't take much, I learned that these beetles are what came out of the ground. So early this spring I noticed these little holes all over my lawn, sorta looked like worm holes. I went and bought some "Grub X" and sprinkled it all over my lawn and then wet it just like it instructed on the bag. Well I gotta tell you that by morning there must have been over a hundred of these big fat grubs on the lawn either dead or dying. i picked them up off the lawn for the next couple days and actually filled a 5 gallon bucket!! No more beetles in my pool and something I didn't mention, no more moles. I had a couple moles causing slight damage but no more!
My first post! :drinkup:
Shawn
Orange County, NY

cfgardengirl
08-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Milky Spore and put it down now.

Cloud9Landscapes
08-27-2009, 03:06 AM
I am definitely not one to answer any questions here but I figured this would be a good place to share an experience. Last year, I believe late spring, my wife and I were outside and all of a sudden, looked like a hundred of these little beetles flew out of the ground. I've never seen anything like it before! Well later on that year I noticed an over abundance of (Japaneese?) these big colorful beetles in our pool. Then I noticed them eating the hell out of our pear tree (which did not make it)!
Well after talking to an older gentleman who seems to know more about insects than I do, which doesn't take much, I learned that these beetles are what came out of the ground. So early this spring I noticed these little holes all over my lawn, sorta looked like worm holes. I went and bought some "Grub X" and sprinkled it all over my lawn and then wet it just like it instructed on the bag. Well I gotta tell you that by morning there must have been over a hundred of these big fat grubs on the lawn either dead or dying. i picked them up off the lawn for the next couple days and actually filled a 5 gallon bucket!! No more beetles in my pool and something I didn't mention, no more moles. I had a couple moles causing slight damage but no more!
My first post! :drinkup:
Shawn
Orange County, NY

Rep. :hammerhead: