PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with a retaining wall bid

Smitty58
08-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm working on a bid for a retaining wall that I would like some help with. The wall is 110 feet long and 7 feet high. It is being built on a 30 degree sloped yard to flatten out the yard. So the fill is going to be from nothing to 7 feet deep and 25 feet wide by 110 feet long. I have the material figured and how much fill there will be ,but I'm struggling with the labor part. I've got it figured at approx $21000 in total material. Any help in what to bid is appreciated.

DVS Hardscaper
08-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a pretty serious wall.

Based on your wording and terminology, I detect that you have little to no experience with such a wall.

$21K in materials sounds extremely high.

You may not like me typing this to you, but I recommend you pass on such a wall for now. Segmental gravity walls are nothing to take lightly. If it's not built correctly, not built to engineer spec - you can land yourself in a lot of heat.

We have a client whom had a wall built by an inexperienced "landscape contractor". Well, we must take it completely down and rebuild correctly. Will cost the home owner around 20 grand for us to re-do.

Smitty58
08-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I knew that I would get the reply I got. I can appreciate the fact that it is a serious wall and needs to be taken as such. I've been building for over 30 years, I know the correct way to do things and do them. I still struggle with labor bids however. The material isn't 21K (I know I said that) what I meant to say is my total material ,rental equipment, and other expenses are $21000. What I need help with is what a fair total bid is.

shovelracer
08-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Maybe start by telling us how much time you were thinking and what equipment you will be using. Then tell us your ideal $ for the job and maybe you will get some better advice.

Duffster
08-23-2009, 02:49 AM
I knew that I would get the reply I got.

Don't worry about it. Knowone can build a wall as well as DVS. :rolleyes:

forestfireguy
08-26-2009, 07:01 PM
7 ft Wall makes me think engineer...........Not to say you aren't capable of an efficient design without but code requires it here and I wouldn't touch a wall like that without one code or not. But hey thats me. Racer brings a good point about production hrs built into your number, machine time, ETC.......

LB1234
08-27-2009, 06:39 PM
7 ft Wall makes me think engineer...........Not to say you aren't capable of an efficient design without but code requires it here and I wouldn't touch a wall like that without one code or not. But hey thats me. Racer brings a good point about production hrs built into your number, machine time, ETC.......

some of the towns I work in only require the specifications on the block itself. Also need a diagram of what a 'cutout' of the wall will look like and something from the manufacturer stating how much grid and max height of wall without.

One mistake I made with building a wall with grid was not calculating time to sit around and wait for town inspector to sign off. He needed to sign the permit off on excavation depth, each layer of grid, and than a final inspection. We wound up with four total inspections. AND you could only call two days ahead of time and then they give you a date with the time of sometime between 8am and 2pm. Once the guy was there before 8am and another he showed up at 1:30. Not much else for me to do besides clean the trailer out, tidy up the job, and sit and wait. I probablly had 8-10 hours or so of time in which I just sat to wait for an inspection. Really slowed the job down....had to make sure when we got to a certain point the guys had other work to go to or something else to work on while we wait for inspection...which took a minimum of two days.

andyslawncare
08-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Call an civil engineer or Landscape architect to design your wall. In our area anything over 4' must be designed by an engineer. Maybe their plan could help you understand the job more.