PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in New England

Ole' Hickory
08-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Greetings from the BayState,

Not quite ready to swing open the doors but I will be starting off on my own in "The Biz" and just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the helpful posts in the past - long time reader. LOTS of good advice and informaion here.
Right now I'm still running a crew of 4 in a mid-size landscape Co. Been Landscaping for 3 years, I've been craigslisting for 2 years now and I'm fairly confident that with e few more odds and ends I'll have all the equipment to get things started on my own.

Current Equipment:
12X6 Enclosed Trailer
48" Scag Walk Behind
21" Areins sp Mower
Shindy & Husky String Trimmers
8hp TracVac Truck Loader Leaf Vac
5hp MTD walk behind Leaf Blower
Shindy Backpack Blower
Stihl Cainsaw
Echo Pole Saw
Husky Stick Edger
RedMax Hedge Trimmers

Still out there looking for some deals before I start in with the insurance and licensing and all. Have a name idea but thats a secret! I have an OK thing going with what I have now,-employed, but I understand that the only real money out there is the dough that we make for ourselves. I WANT MY PIECE!
My advertising will start with the small plasticboard signs and business cards, If the phone doesn't ring I'll begin "Phase 2" = mailing postcards, if it still doesn't happen I'll cry and beg! Hopefully word-of-mouth sets in.
If theres anyone in the area that could give some serious suggestions or advice on a startup in the current Mass economic env. -All is appreciated.
Credit is so/so and the money isn't there, but I'm going to stay with this.
I'll be part-time by Spring Cleanups, (Is February a good time to start advertising for that?) but if things work out, full-time at Fall Cleanups.
I have no overhead, equipment is paid for and in almost new condition.
I hope the business is out there.
Anyway, Sorry for the long first post, but I wanted to say hi and I plan throw a few tidbits in here myself when I can. Very Excited

rain man
08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Welcome to the site. Best of luck in the future.

GraZHopA
08-25-2009, 01:18 PM
It looks like you have amassed a pretty good collection of equipment from Craigslist. I do hope that you have a truck to pull that 6x12 trailer around. :)Since you have several years of experience, in the lawn maintenance business, you know what you have to do to succeed. Good luck with your endeavor. Welcome to the forum!

RedSquareLandscaping
08-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Best of luck with the new company!!!

RedSquareLandscaping
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Like i said Good Luck and try to reach fanatic staus

Ole' Hickory
08-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys,
Interesting that you brought up the truck Grazhopa. Its my first official dilema in my startup. I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche -stop laughing- I know its not ideal for landscaping, but A) Its paid off, B) It has high miles so the trade-in sucks.
I'm gonna try a make a go with it to start, Your opinions??? Might I be wasting time in not getting a better work truck? Its weighing on me.
ALSO.....Since I have your attention, I don't live in "City Massachusetts" I live in "Tree-ville Massachusetts" alot of leaves so there should be money there. Well,I just bought a 5hp Little Wonder blower. Big enough?? good deal on craigslist, but I'm used to 8&9 hp models. Enough blow there?
Oh Yeah...... The blower now works along side of my 8hp leaf vac/truck loader. Yup 8hp!! -Even I laugh at that one- My Question is: Am I going to strut into my first fall cleanup with insufficient suck&blow and does my truck suck?

g21
08-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey that Avalanche beats the heck out my Honda Civic I used to pull around my first trailer in 1979! lol Sounds like you have a great plan. Don't forget-- nothing beats going around to businesses and shaking hands to introduce yourself! If there is anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck!
Tommy