PDA

View Full Version : Stihl edger/blade bolt

ken0564
08-22-2009, 09:07 PM
have a straight shaft (fc85). blade bolt has become hard to screw on/off. Use to you could crack it loose and remove by hand, same going back in. Now, once started, you have to wrench in or out. Appears the threads have gotten boogered up. Tried a new bolt and same thing happened once it hit bottom. My question, would tapping the screw hole using same size correct my threads good enough to get a bite to hold bolt. fyi..It does not appear the old bolt was crossed threaded. Thanks for any input.

Roger
08-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I have the same piece of equipment. Remember, the bolt is a left-handed thread, so don't try to tap it out with a typical tap.

ken0564
08-23-2009, 12:35 AM
yep, I have left hand tap same size. thanks for input. anyone have anything else?

DiyDave
08-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Are you using blades that are thinner, allowing the bolt to bottom out? Just a thought. And there are taps that are called bottoming taps, that are sharpened so as to cut threads all the way to the bottom of the hole. I suggest Mcmaster- Carr as a good source. Good luck, let us know the final fix.:waving:

hate2work
08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Maybe you don't have the proper washer under the bolt, that lets the bolt go too deep and then the thread gets a little boogered up on the end of the bolt.