PDA

View Full Version : Z spray comment

humble1
08-23-2009, 01:11 AM
So I have had my machine for a few weeks now, I am starting to get sureface rust on the stainless steel. Is this typical? Or did I get some bad metal, I have even been spraying the surface with wd40 to try to prevent it. I dont have any experience with stainless steel, but I was under the impression that it didnt rust.

GravelyGuy
08-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Is it at the welds? Is it actually rust or just discoloration?

hughmcjr
08-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Stainless steel can suffer from corrosion:

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1177

http://hayata.com/chem_fl.htm

ted putnam
08-23-2009, 02:15 AM
So I have had my machine for a few weeks now, I am starting to get sureface rust on the stainless steel. Is this typical? Or did I get some bad metal, I have even been spraying the surface with wd40 to try to prevent it. I dont have any experience with stainless steel, but I was under the impression that it didnt rust.

I have the same thing happening. Not just at the welds. I don't think you need to worry, it's just surface rust. I had the same thing happen with my PG Ultra. You can use a wire brush on it if it makes you feel better, but it's not necessary. It's been a long time since I've seen stainless that didn't get a little surface rust somewhere. The just don't make stainless like they used to.

rcreech
08-23-2009, 12:35 PM
If you clean it up with a wire brush as stated it will go away.

Around the welds I think it is more from the heat when it was welded. But my PG did the same thing also.

It can't be rust as it isn't steel...but I am not sure what it is. Just a little discoloration...but nothing to "eat away" like we are use to seeing rust do.

americanlawn
08-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Personally, I would try to avoid abrasives. "Naval Jelly" rust dissolver works awesome on all metals. We even use it on chrome bumpers. It's widely available as a spray or brush-on. It was originally developed by the U.S. Navy.

Rayholio
08-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Yeah.. now that mine is past 100 hours, I'm getting that too! Also, my fert propeller wore out at around 95 hours.. probably 50 hours of fert apps.. It actually was 'eaten up' by the fert and put holes in the leading edges of the propeller.. Weird.