PDA

View Full Version : Exmark or Scag due to spindle housing

nuklhd
04-25-2002, 12:23 PM
I plan on using this only for my own lawn about 1/3rd of an acre. I have looked at both Exmark and Scag and I like the fact that Scag has cast iron spindle housing but, I like the Exmark mower better and understand from all of the users on this forum that they cut better not to mention I can pick one up for $500 cheaper than the Scag. Both are 48" fixed decks. I currently have a troy built 33" and have had several problems with the spindle housing and bearings (stamped aluminum).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance,

awm
04-25-2002, 08:24 PM
if u are doing your lawn only ,i dont think u need ever worry about the exmark spindle. its made to run 5-10 hrs every day.

mdb landscaping
04-25-2002, 09:33 PM
i agree, if youre not out there mowing every day with it, i dont think its as big of an issue. both are good brands and i would just recommend exmark, because i love mine, and most of the people i talk to like theres as well.

Mid Rivers
04-25-2002, 11:26 PM
I have a Lazer and a Turf Tracer and love them both. Good Luck

mklawnman
04-26-2002, 12:33 AM
All i have to say is go Scag. We just got a SWZ 52inch Fixed deck 17Kaw, stripes nicely.
You may be a bit confused on the whole Scag/Exmark debate, Exmark ZTR's i have been told stripe very well, better than the Scag ZTR. Though I have a Scag Turf Tiger and SWZ, both stripe awsome, so if your looking for reliablity and durability look at the Scag, spindles will last along time wont have to worry. Ive been told Scag makes awsome walkbehinds, dealer told me their the #1 selling walkbehind, dont know how much truth to that.
You will be happy with the Scag
Matt(lawnman)

Richard Martin
04-26-2002, 06:52 AM
If you're only cutting 1/3 of an acre then the only thing you need to be concerned with is price. Even if you walk behind the mower in 1st gear you're still not going to put enough hours on either machine to wear out the spindles in your lifetime. The only time you would have problems with Exmark's aluminum spindles would be if you go around trying to cut off cast iron sewer cleanouts with the mower.

65hoss
04-26-2002, 07:21 AM
I agree with the others. Your issue isn't the spindles at all. Most of us that cut will put more hours on the spindles in 1 year than you will in 10 yrs as a homeowner. You should be worried about price and cut quality.

Price probably is pretty close with both machines. But, cut quality is another story. You can't be the cut of an eXmark. They are designed for cut quality and reliability. The guys at eXmark are awesome to deal with and they are here on this site to access if you have any problems or questions. Customer service is second to NONE.

Oliver1850
04-26-2002, 01:18 PM
I too compared the exmark and Scag and the decision came down to quality of components used, (spindles, pumps, bearings, ect.) The price difference was $200 in favor of the exmark. I asked my dealer what would it cost to replace the exmark spindle, he stated aproximately $200 and I had my answer. The possibility of any down time is not an option in this business.

I agree with the previous posts, spindles alone should not be an issue for you.

As far as cut quality, you are splitting hairs. I run a 2001 laser hp and a 2002 Scag tiger cub. The Scag cuts the wet, heavy thick stuff better, but the exmark seems to stripe nicer.

HOWARD JONES
05-02-2002, 05:00 PM
You really didn't say why the iron spindle housing appealed to you - other responses talked about wear-out, which is not affected by iron or aluminum. The iron probably would take a little harder hit without breakage, if you have rough service. If so, Toro ZTR's are almost identical to ExMark (same company now) and the main difference is in the deck - Toro uses iron housings with tapered roller bearings - but is also greasable rather than sealed - takes more greasing than you might expect. The deck is also a different shape/design, ExMark is more like a mulching design, whereas the Toro is designed to get the grass out fast - leaves larger clippings.