PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Bluegrass Questions

nwok2u
08-23-2009, 02:33 AM
I live in Central Oklahoma (on the line between zone 6 and 7). My lawn is a mix of Fescue and Thermal Blue. I love the lawn and the bluegrass does great in the summer heat. I am building a new house and my question is, what issues would i have if any with using a strait hybrid bluegrass mix (no fescue). I can get a mix from Newsome seed that is 50% Thermal Blue, 25% Thermal Blue Blaze, and 25% Dura Blue. There are not may strait bluegrass lawns in central OK, so I dont know what to expect. I know the establishment will be longer than my fescue mix, but will i have disease problems not seen in the fescue/bluegrass mix?

subeedude
09-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I don't have your answer, but I am in mid Missouri, and if I can find a source for a pure blend of the hybrid thermal bluegrass, I plan on over seeding after I aerate in a couple of weeks. It can't do any worse than all of the various fescues I have tried, that look great in Spring and Fall, but crap out really bad during the summer. I've been working at the organic method for two years now, and my patience in the summer is running thinner than the fescue!

nwok2u
09-01-2009, 01:44 AM
I have found a few places that offer the seed. You can contact Newsom seed in Maryland and get a mix of the Scotts hybrids. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

greendoctor
09-01-2009, 04:05 AM
I have never managed bluegrass before, but I am pretty sure these new hybrids are also screened for disease resistance. In the 1960s the big thing was Merion bluegrass. It looked fabulous cut low and often, was dark green, and got dollar spot, leaf spot, brown patch, and summer patch. Only way to keep it alive was to cover it in fungicides every week, up to the last application in fall to prevent snow mold.

subeedude
09-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I have found a few places that offer the seed. You can contact Newsom seed in Maryland and get a mix of the Scotts hybrids. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks guys. I have sent an email and am waiting for a reply from the Maryland distributor to see if they will sell me the comparatively small amount of seed I will need.

It's my understanding, too, that these hybrids have been selected for disease resistance as well. While on this related subject, do any of you know if milky spore will work with more grubs than just the Japanese beetle since that may be a concern as well? (Staying away from pesticides.)

And can I expect the blue grass to overtake the fescues?

nwok2u
09-04-2009, 01:21 AM
If you don't overseed with fescue regularly, the bluegrass will become a higher percentage of your stand over time. Honestly i don't know that this is a bad thing though.