PDA

View Full Version : Old, brick-lined cistern.

White Gardens
08-23-2009, 03:31 PM
In conjunction with the paver sidewalk question posted earlier, I have another engineering question.

The patio for the project is slated to be expanded, and unfortunately there is an old cistern that might cause me problems.

I might be able to go out and encompass the cistern into the patio using the old hand pump as a focus feature, but I'm afraid that if I'm too close to it, that I'm going to have issues with the foundation of the patio and wall retaining it.

If I fill it in, I'm wondering what material to use. Back where I'm from, there was an old hand-dug well in the yard, and we filled it in with Lime. Yes there was some settling, but I contributed that to the concrete that was added to the out-side of the well and was removed.

Also, I do believe that it is dry-laid, brick lined. There is another old well on the property with that set-up and I'm guessing the cistern is the same way. I'm able to look into the top of the old well and see that the lining is still intact perfectly and has taken tractor traffic being close to the old barn.

Any thoughts ???

White Gardens
08-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Bumpity bump bump.

White Gardens
08-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Has anyone run into a situation like this before ???

Or am I a tool and nobody wants to help. :laugh:

Steiner
08-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I always use stone fill. Run and crush or number 1. compact it just like a retaining wall to icpi specs.

White Gardens
08-25-2009, 02:48 AM
I always use stone fill. Run and crush or number 1. compact it just like a retaining wall to icpi specs.

Thanks Steiner, might be the route to go. I'm just wondering how I will compact a deep cistern though.

Once I take the top off and remove the hand-pump I'll know exactly what I'm dealing with.

04superduty
08-25-2009, 09:27 PM
get a walk behind plate compactor, dump some stone in, spread it around, lower the compactor down with a skidsteer, add some more stone and compact it more, you might have to lift the compactor out for each lift of stone you do.

White Gardens
08-25-2009, 09:43 PM
get a walk behind plate compactor, dump some stone in, spread it around, lower the compactor down with a skidsteer, add some more stone and compact it more, you might have to lift the compactor out for each lift of stone you do.

I knew someone was going to say that. :hammerhead: That doesn't sound like any fun.

Would a mini-ex work better ?? It would be nice to find a mini ex with the compactor attachment at the end of the boom. I don't think there are any available around my area though.

I am friends with a local excavating company, and I might have to give them a call.

This might end up getting out of the realm of my capabilities.

Stillwater
08-26-2009, 12:02 AM
hey Gardens this file should be helpful

http://agbiopubs.sdstate.edu/articles/ExEx1049.pdf

White Gardens
08-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Phenomenal Stillwater.

Just the kind of info I'm looking for. Thumbs Up