PDA

View Full Version : Z-SPRAY Question

rwnail
08-23-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm seriously contemplating buying a Z-Max. Fungicides will be a big part of my spray apps. I would calibrate at 1gal./1000 volume. Is anyone out there doing this and how well is it working?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-24-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm seriously contemplating buying a Z-Max. Fungicides will be a big part of my spray apps. I would calibrate at 1gal./1000 volume. Is anyone out there doing this and how well is it working?

I use my Junior for fungecides all the time. A use Armada (wp), Eagle, & Banner Max on a regular basis. Works out great!

Heidi J.
08-24-2009, 05:57 AM
I use my Junior for fungecides all the time. A use Armada (wp), Eagle, & Banner Max on a regular basis. Works out great!

Yep..you name it, we have run it through our Z's :)

Grandview
08-24-2009, 06:41 AM
With the Z you can change your tips and speed to get the gallons you need. Plus the pump delivers enough plus agitation.

rcreech
08-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Agree with Grandview...any product can be ran thorough the Z.

Now with the PG you have to be more selective due to particle size, lower gallons, speed isn't adjustable etc.

But with Fungicides...I know higher gallons are supposed to be better when you hear people talking about it...but is it really needed?

Good coverage is all that is needed. This is just due to a good pattern and getting a smaller droplet size/fog or mist.

As long as you get good coverage and run high pressure you are fine.

"Crop Dusters" typically spray 2 gallon/acre over the crop and they are 15 ft high.

If you run 1/2 gallon tips 20" over the top of the turf and run 60+ lb that should suffice. I am not sure the AI tip is the best for that...but jack the pressure up and it should get atomized enough.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Agree with Grandview...any product can be ran thorough the Z.

But with Fungicides...I know higher gallons are supposed to be better when you hear people talking about it...but is it really needed?

Yes, Higher gallons are needed. The label on most fungecides make this very clear. Very thorough leaf coverage is needed...Especially when going after diseases that affect the roots or crown. Last thing I wasnt to do is get it wrong and end up respraying a fungecide! Thay aint cheap!:dizzy:

grassman177
08-24-2009, 07:00 PM
i have used .5 gal app rate and done just fine with all fungicide apps. the label on some does state 1 gal min, but well that does n ot happen much!!

rcreech
08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Yes, Higher gallons are needed. The label on most fungecides make this very clear. Very thorough leaf coverage is needed...Especially when going after diseases that affect the roots or crown. Last thing I wasnt to do is get it wrong and end up respraying a fungecide! Thay aint cheap!:dizzy:

The label for 3-Way stated to run high gallons also...and that is way overkill and a waste.

AS STATED...crop dusters spray 2 gallon/acre 15 ft over the crop going 200 mph over a 12 ft tall crop and they do a fine job (pun intended).

.5 gallon/acre with a ride on spraying 20" over the top of a 3-4" turf is going to do a VERY GOOD JOB!

Gallons/acre or k is typically overated. As I always say...water doesn't kill anything. Not if a contact product of course more coverage is needed...but very few products would require more then 1/2 gallon/k.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
The label for 3-Way stated to run high gallons also...and that is way overkill and a waste.

AS STATED...crop dusters spray 2 gallon/acre 15 ft over the crop going 200 mph over a 12 ft tall crop and they do a fine job (pun intended).

.5 gallon/acre with a ride on spraying 20" over the top of a 3-4" turf is going to do a VERY GOOD JOB!

Gallons/acre or k is typically overated. As I always say...water doesn't kill anything. Not if a contact product of course more coverage is needed...but very few products would require more then 1/2 gallon/k.

I figured you were taliking about .25/gal tips-.5 definitely is better.

But, have at it-half ass it with very expensive products like fungecides:dizzy: There is a reason higher rates are recommended. Fungecides are not like 3-way-especially when you are talking about contact ones. You need to cover all the leaf blades, not just "dot" the large broadleaf weeds sticking up above everything else. If it is a systemic like tridemifon, I can see where lower water per k could be used. Also, if it a root or crown infecting disease is benefited with irrigation right after application to take fungecide down to the roots, instead of large water amounts.

I'm not a Z newbie-I've got larger tips & bought a Z years ago mainly for the fact that all I have to do is swap nozzles & I can put the recommended amount down without hassle.....

I can tell you that you won't have stellar results treating emerged Crabgrass using Drive 75 with .25 per/k-You need more coverage of the weed-period! Been there, done that.

EVM
08-24-2009, 11:04 PM
all I have to do is swap nozzles & I can put the recommended amount down without hassle.....

I can tell you that you won't have stellar results treating emerged Crabgrass using Drive 75 with .25 per/k-You need more coverage of the weed-period! Been there, done that.

Do you use a special tool to turn the caps off of the nozzle body?

When mixing Drive into the Z do you pre-mix the Drive or just dump the granule into the main tank?

I have an issue with the way the tank agitation is set up on the main tank. The set up is no good because you are not getting any agitation at the load point of the tank. There is no flow inside that tank at all.

ted putnam
08-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Other then EC's and L's, the only thing I've sprayed through mine has been DG's. I pre-slurry using a 1qt shaker, then slowly add to tank while filling with hose. I also turn the key and use the manual pump switch for agitation while mixing DG's (be sure all valves are off before doing this:laugh:) A little extra trouble but seems to work well for me. I got in the habit of doing it that way with my PG Ultra(no agitation)

foreplease
08-24-2009, 11:25 PM

I'm confused anyway but you meant .5 gallon/M, not acre, right?

At the higher pressure you mentioned above I would worry about loss to drift. I want to feel like I am laying down spray paint when I put down fungicides - menaing more water. The sprayer I use most often for that is calibrated at 1.1 gal/M. When I use the larger sprayer I hit it two directions at half rate at about 0.4 gal/M each direction.

rcreech
08-25-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm confused anyway but you meant .5 gallon/M, not acre, right?

At the higher pressure you mentioned above I would worry about loss to drift. I want to feel like I am laying down spray paint when I put down fungicides - menaing more water. The sprayer I use most often for that is calibrated at 1.1 gal/M. When I use the larger sprayer I hit it two directions at half rate at about 0.4 gal/M each direction.

I did mean .5/k (or m).

As far as drift...on a windy day that would be an issue at higher PSI's.

But under normal conditions you should be able to run high pressure.

This is really a mute point as if someone wants to run higher gallons go ahead. There are guys out here runnning .5 gallons with 3-Way!

It isn't wrong...I just think higher gallons is a waste in most cases.