PDA

View Full Version : SNAKES what to use?

RYDER
08-24-2009, 12:05 AM
I took on a yard clean up(that was let go for 2-3 years) and I have ran across 7 gardener snakes so far. 6 in one day. Is there anything I can put down to get rid of them.:hammerhead:

Ric3077
08-24-2009, 12:17 AM
There is a product called SNAKE AWAY...I have never used it but it may be worth a shot
http://www.liquidfence.com/snake-repellents.html

stevenf
08-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Garder/Ribbon snakes pretty much only hang around where there are small frogs and lizards. Make sure the yard doesnt have water buildup on or around the property. When the frogs are gone, the snakes will leave also. Lots of people think they eat bugs but that is not the case. When they are first born they may take on a few bugs for a while but adults wont touch bugs.

foreplease
08-24-2009, 12:35 AM
I took on a yard clean up(that was let go for 2-3 years) and I have ran across 7 gardener snakes so far. 6 in one day. Is there anything I can put down to get rid of them.:hammerhead:

Your mower deck :)

RAlmaroad
08-24-2009, 05:59 AM
In the old days, moth balls were put around foundations--Don't have any evidence that it works. It would be good research to compare the AI in "Snakes Away" and moth balls.

RigglePLC
08-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Just grab 'em. Put 'em down the mole tunnels. Let 'em fight it out. Put a few in a paper bag under the seat. Use 'em for the next lawn.

fastcat
08-25-2009, 12:02 AM
put them in your customers house then advertise snake removing.

jbpostal
08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
put them in your customers house then advertise snake removing.:laugh:
they are harmless, why worry about getting rid of them?

phasthound
08-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Send them to Indian Jones. :)

humble1
08-25-2009, 11:26 PM
call residex or univar, i recal seeing something there

txgrassguy
08-26-2009, 11:21 AM
A shotgun.
Seriously though why worry about non poisonous snakes?
Here in C. Texas we have to deal with various pit vipers which really isn't all that difficult.
I do like the idea of relocating the snakes to a customer's property though.
I'd send one to my ex-wife but out of professional courtesy I don't think the pit viper would bite her.

gregory
08-26-2009, 12:21 PM
i agree with the others why worry about them they will leave on there own more then likely once the yard is cleaned up... you want snakes come down to south florida.. just killed another coral snake on my back porch last monthhad a coral snake kill one of my pits 2 yrs ago

Ric
08-27-2009, 10:36 AM
i agree with the others why worry about them they will leave on there own more then likely once the yard is cleaned up... you want snakes come down to south florida.. just killed another coral snake on my back porch last monthhad a coral snake kill one of my pits 2 yrs ago

Karl

You are a Florida Native and should remember when Snakes were a real problem. But the one advantage of Fire Ants has been they attack snake eggs. I see very few if any Snakes in my area except water snakes like cotton mouth etc.

Screen Minnow traps work well as live snake traps also. Bait them with either tree frogs or small white feeder rats from the pet store. Because there are funnels at both ends the snake crawls in to eat the bait and then can't find there way out. It is illegal to possess poisonous snakes with out a License in Florida. you can't even transport them away from your trapping area. The easiest way to kill them by submerging the trap in water is also illegal. The state of Florida is very clear on humane death of all animals including snakes.

BTW Florida now has a big problem in the Everglades with exotic pet snakes that have been turned loose. The everglades is so wet that Fire Ants can't survive there. So there is no Biological control.

gregory
08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
i will have to give that trap a try.. since i have been in my house which is 14 years i have killed 2 coral snakes 3 rattle snakes a 2 cotton mouths i have seen numerous other snakes like grass snakes and indigo snakes but leave them alone.. i normally have 1-2 indigo snakes hang out around the back yard i see them when i mow...

i seen that on the news down here also you would think people would thought of that when they let all of those snake loose in the glades