PDA

View Full Version : what is the best kill all spray??

The_Duk
08-24-2009, 12:45 AM
i've got some areas in customers yards that they want nothing to grow ever... they want to sterilize the soil... what is the best spray to use, purchased or home brew... i've used killzall in the past with ok results... what do you use? this would be used on cracks in sidewalks and concrete so no grass will grow also....

Lawnut101
08-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Well there aren't many sestemic weed/grass killers. People don't always like chemicals that hang around the environment. Round-Up just came out with one and Ortho has one as well. But they are expensive.

qps
08-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Sahara....looks like a bomb went off after a few weeks...nasty stuff but effective...

txgrassguy
08-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Big question is your license.
Provide a number and I'll explain how to deal with soil sterilization herbicides.
The state of Texas requires at a minimum a Texas Department of Agriculture, category 3A license with the record keeping for at least two years.
You don't have a license and apply anything for pay = a big fine.
And the State actually has the beginnings of a decent enforcement division.

LB1234
08-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Sahara....looks like a bomb went off after a few weeks...nasty stuff but effective...

Effective at preventing but not so effective as removing existing. Mixed with Roundup works well. In my experience it leaches really bad. Tried it on sidewalk cracks before and stone driveways and it wound up going into the good turf....with bad results. We have had excellent results for crack and crevice spraying with parking lots and right of way...lasts a solid six months.

Think Green
08-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Duk,
There are some home brew materials on the net, and some are effective, but do not hang around for very long. What you are wanting is long term control products that are obtainable with a license from the State of Texas. I can tell you names of products, but you can't just go to TSC or anywhere else and buy it without filling out a bunch of paperwork and holding up the lines.

qps
08-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Effective at preventing but not so effective as removing existing. Mixed with Roundup works well. In my experience it leaches really bad. Tried it on sidewalk cracks before and stone driveways and it wound up going into the good turf....with bad results. We have had excellent results for crack and crevice spraying with parking lots and right of way...lasts a solid six months.

Yep..leaches badly, read the label, use it with a sticker helps alittle, mixed with roundup we use it on existing with great results...if your talking nothing over 8" tall....

blumpkinator
08-26-2009, 10:16 PM
we use eraser.. pretty potent stuff

meets1
08-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Go to your local elevator that sprays fields - ask to take off there hands there rinse spray out of tankers, applicators etc - free and very effective!

txgrassguy
08-27-2009, 10:36 AM

Then your label of Sahara is markedly different than the one I have in Texas as it states NOT to use any type of gylsophate in the tank mix or reduced efficacious control results.
Also soil sterilization results is directly related to climate conditions when applied and what occurs during the half life of the material. NE climates are much easier to deal with than the incredibly noxious climate patterns common to C. Texas.

greenskeeper79
08-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Roundup/Surflan mix worked well. Last I heard they haven't made Surflan since the plant burned down.

txgrassguy
08-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Thread is wasted anyways as the O.P. doesn't have a license.
Or if he did he should get his money back as all of this is basic label reading 101.

LB1234
08-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Then your label of Sahara is markedly different than the one I have in Texas as it states NOT to use any type of gylsophate in the tank mix or reduced efficacious control results.
Also soil sterilization results is directly related to climate conditions when applied and what occurs during the half life of the material. NE climates are much easier to deal with than the incredibly noxious climate patterns common to C. Texas.

Just verified....page three of the label (in pdf) has a section titled "Tank Mixes" in which it states in the first line...I took out the other names for simplicity.

"SAHARA DG herbicide may be tank-mixed with Roundup,....Tank-mixes with 2,4-D or products that contain 2,4-D have resulted in reduced performance of perennial weed control"

Like I said, with Roundup mixed in we were getting about 6 months of no-growth. We would apply in April and then again in August/September timeframe and it really stayed on top of things. Customers were happy with the results..i.e lack of maintenance.

Also under the section titled "Application Instructions" under both the subtitles of "Postemergent Applications" and "Spot Treatments" it goes on to state that Sahara DG herbicide may be tank-mixed with Roundup or Finale.

lilmarvin4064
08-27-2009, 09:44 PM
if he has a license, then I 2nd the notion; first trying some Surflan+non-selective.