PDA

View Full Version : Stihl vs. Echo - Your Opinion

jada86
08-24-2009, 06:51 AM
It's been awhile since I've done lawn maintenance and was wondering what you all think about Stihl vs. Echo equipment? I always liked the Stihl edgers, but liked the Echo brand for the light weight? How about in terms of longevity?

genesis215
08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I like my Stihl BR 600 4-MIX backpack blower a lot. Very reliable, 2 years old, and still starts first pull every time. Tons of power. I also have a 30 year old Stihl 024 chainsaw that still runs great. Never used Echo, but they are ok too. I personally like Stihl.

Raven386
08-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I like stihl's power. But i like the lightweight echo trimmers. The next trimmer I would buy would most likely be a stihl. My 261 just lacks the power needed to blast through thicker weeds and grass as the stihl fs110 I used went trough it like it was nothing. As for blowers, I will never buy anything but Br600 for a blower. Light,powerful,dependable. Cant as for much more.

genesis215
08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
I used a friends FS 110R 4-MIX, and it was an absolute monster. Tons of torque, and not too terribly heavy. A good bit more power than my Kawasaki KGT27A. They have had it for 4 years of very hard use, and all they have done was replace the carburetor (once).

tomwom
08-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I couldn't be happier with my FS90. I thought about the Echo when I was looking, but decided since I already owned 2 other Stihl trimmers and a Stihl chainsaw, I'd just stick with Stihl.

ed2hess
08-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Whatever you select stick with the 2 stroke units if you want a unit
that will last. The field data in our market(hot temp) is showing the 4-mix blower just will not last. I see that stihl is coming out with some non-4-mix trimmers this year so they must be taking another look. And yes if the very most important thing is for the unit to start on the first pull the 4-mix is better. But that is the end of the advantages....the oil is very costly.

genesis215
08-24-2009, 10:27 PM
All the guys in my city run nearly exclusively the 4-MIX engines, and they look like they are so beat up, yet they still run great here in the Arkansas 100 degree heat year after year. The 4-MIX is very reliable, and long lasting when run on Amsoil Saber. My friends have run their 110 for 4 years with Wal-Mart Super Tech (junk) oil, and it still runs great. No valve troubles, or even a single adjustment.

ed2hess
08-24-2009, 11:27 PM
All the guys in my city run nearly exclusively the 4-MIX engines, and they look like they are so beat up, yet they still run great here in the Arkansas 100 degree heat year after year. The 4-MIX is very reliable, and long lasting when run on Amsoil Saber. My friends have run their 110 for 4 years with Wal-Mart Super Tech (junk) oil, and it still runs great. No valve troubles, or even a single adjustment.

All the city guys in Austin buys them also.......the repair guy that used to work for them tells a much different story than what you are indicating. He says the 4-mix blowers are very very unreliable and he considers them junk. When these units are run peddle to metal they simply don't last. They started switching to the BR420.

93Chevy
08-24-2009, 11:49 PM
All I run is Echo because that's what my dealer has.

What I've noticed is that there's a lot of Stihl guys that rant and rave about how Stihl is the best. That's why I went with Echo, because there's not a fuss about their equipment. I've rarely read a post "you should have bought Echo."

Maybe Stihl is better, but I don't care. I avoid it like the plague, just like Deere. It's the whole aura of cockiness that turns me away...

Raven386
08-25-2009, 12:19 AM
All I run is Echo because that's what my dealer has.

What I've noticed is that there's a lot of Stihl guys that rant and rave about how Stihl is the best. That's why I went with Echo, because there's not a fuss about their equipment. I've rarely read a post "you should have bought Echo."

Maybe Stihl is better, but I don't care. I avoid it like the plague, just like Deere. It's the whole aura of cockiness that turns me away...

An individual's cockiness about a piece of equipment doesn't always reflect the product. JMO

mowerknower
08-25-2009, 12:24 AM
[QUOTE=93Chevy;3157108]

If echo sold as many units as stihl they would have a lot of negative post on here as well. Same reason that Exmark and Deere get some negative posts. Every company is gonna have a percentage of complaints, so the company that sells more is gonna have more complaints. Pretty simple. Have you ever heard any lco complaining that there ryobi trimmer didnt last long. Nope, because no lco is stupid enough to run them.

There is a reason stihl sells more handheld equipment than anyone else. But my advice is to stick with the brand that has the best dealer support.

genesis215
08-25-2009, 12:25 AM
As far I know, the 4-MIX trimmers have not have had any valve breakage issues at all since about the first year or two of them, and after that the record has been very good. No reliability issues with the trimmers. Now with the blowers, that does seem to be a different story. Almost all of the early '05-'06 model blowers broke a valve and it then lodges in the piston. Whether it happens within one week or three years, it was an almost certain failure for those early units. It seemed that some Stihl tech here on LS said that Stihl has fixed that problem for the '07 and newer 4-MIX blowers by changing the valve material to be much tougher, and redesigning the valve guide so it wouldn't drop down, thus breaking the valve. But I might be wrong on that. I haven't heard of valve breakages on '08 and '09 units, but don't really know for sure.

FYI, here is a link to a past thread on the problems with the early BR 600 engines: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=198222&highlight=Stihl+valve+dropped

This seems to indicate that the problem has been fixed and we are in the safe zone. Mine is a late '07 model, and the valves are not having troubles. I did adjust them at the beginning of this year, and only one was just slightly off (exhaust valve was not opening quite all the way). Since the adjustment, it has quite a bit more power, and idles very nicely.