dmkosko
08-24-2009, 07:33 PM
How do you guys charge for customers that want weeding done? Thanks

grandview (2006)
08-24-2009, 07:51 PM
By the hour because weeding sucks!

JNyz
08-26-2009, 07:29 PM
$180.00 per hour for a three man crew. port to port.

curbappealco
08-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I charge 49/hr. per man, however, we do not weed. We simply use a hedge trimmer/string trimmer to knock the weeds down to the ground and spray using groundwork from tractor supply instead of roundup which has gotten weaker as the years go on. We are usually going to cover with mulch anyway so this method works great and is alot quicker!

Mike Custom
08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
You have to feel out the customer...some wont pay 40-50 an hour for weeding...when its a low risk day laborer job that they can pay 10 bucks an hour for.

JNyz
08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Then you do not want that client.

shovelracer
08-27-2009, 10:24 PM
You have to feel out the customer...some wont pay 40-50 an hour for weeding...when its a low risk day laborer job that they can pay 10 bucks an hour for.

Then they can go downtown and pick up someone they dont know to do it. We easily get our hourly labor rate to pull weeds because they dont want to do it.

lawnkingforever
08-28-2009, 12:32 AM
I client of mine has bought an overgrown foreclosure. Grass was only cut twice this year. The front and sides were just overgrown grass, no problem. Now the back had weeds of every kind over 6 ft. tall. I did the front and sides for $100 and brought my DR brushmower out for the back and charged him $300. My issue is one side of the driveway has a 3 tier retaining wall with thick weeds that need pulled out or shoveled out. The other side of the driveway has railroad ties lining it and thick weeds right along the property line which is a steep hill. He wants me to finish up the cleanup but we cannot come to an agreement over price for the weeds. I don't like to bid by the hour, but have no choice since the weeds are so bad I can't figure how long it will take me. I told him 40$ an hour, he said he could find someone cheaper, so I told him to hire them for that part of the job then. I like breaking out the DR for these overgrown lots because I can charge way more per hour than mowing. The thought of pulling weeds for hours upon end does not interest me in the least for the money he wants to pay.

Smallaxe
08-28-2009, 10:02 AM
I client of mine has bought an overgrown foreclosure. Grass was only cut twice this year. The front and sides were just overgrown grass, no problem. Now the back had weeds of every kind over 6 ft. tall. I did the front and sides for $100 and brought my DR brushmower out for the back and charged him $300. My issue is one side of the driveway has a 3 tier retaining wall with thick weeds that need pulled out or shoveled out. The other side of the driveway has railroad ties lining it and thick weeds right along the property line which is a steep hill. He wants me to finish up the cleanup but we cannot come to an agreement over price for the weeds. I don't like to bid by the hour, but have no choice since the weeds are so bad I can't figure how long it will take me. I told him 40$ an hour, he said he could find someone cheaper, so I told him to hire them for that part of the job then. I like breaking out the DR for these overgrown lots because I can charge way more per hour than mowing. The thought of pulling weeds for hours upon end does not interest me in the least for the money he wants to pay.

That sounds like my garden this year! :laugh:

What I did was go through with a hedge trimmer and knocked everything down. Let it dry, then remove if necessary.

Ric3077
08-28-2009, 10:12 AM
$120/hour for 2 men includes disposal

White Gardens
08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Weeding is part of my by-weekly maintenence service.

I charge my normal labor and no one complains about the price. Every customer I have has mentioned at one time or another that I'm very quick at what I do and they feel they are getting a great value.

My key is to find balance between hand weeding and spraying. Late in the season when the weeds are under control, I find it just as effective to go around and pull weeds as it is to spray.

Occasionally I run into a potential customer that is a business owner and those are the hardest to make understand that you charge what you do.

I got into an argument with a radiator/powder coating owner and he just can't believe how much landscapers charge. Once you start hassling them about what they charge for labor, then they tend to shut-up.

RedMaple Lawns
08-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Since I'm just starting out I bill out at 35/HR., working solo with no gas powered equipment. I jump to 45/HR. with gas powered equipment. It really depends on how efficient you are and what kind of reputation you have in your area. The better those two factors are the more you can charge. But I wouldn't try to pull more than 65/HR. no matter your reputation...and HR = per man hour

JNyz
08-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Since I'm just starting out I bill out at 35/HR., working solo with no gas powered equipment. I jump to 45/HR. with gas powered equipment. It really depends on how efficient you are and what kind of reputation you have in your area. The better those two factors are the more you can charge. But I wouldn't try to pull more than 65/HR. no matter your reputation...and HR = per man hour

Why wouldn't you try to pull 65/hr? If you don't need the job why not put a bid out there for 65/hr and see what happens. Two men at 65/hr for a full day is $1040.00 a day. What's wrong with that? A plumber or electrician will come to your house and charge more then that and show up with less equipment.

Marcos
08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Why would you necessarily have to pull weeds? :confused:

In most any landscape situation if broadleaf weeds (dicots) suddenly crop up you can do an over-the-top spray using Lontrel herbicide from Dow. (same A.I. ingredient as 'Stinger' herbicide for you Ag guys):

http://www.dowagro.com/turf/prod/lontrel.htm

If grassy weeds (monocots) in your landscape beds are driving you & your customers crazy, you may want to consider an over-the-top spray or two of Fusilade II herbicide:

http://www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/prodrender/index.aspx?prodid=344

But of course, if you're NOT mulching to an adequate depth, or applying bed pre-emergents like 30lb -40lb high protein corn gluten per 1000 s.f., or Snapshot, or treflan (etc...) in a timely manner in the spring or early summer, then frankly, you're asking for every single weed that comes your way!:dizzy:

RedSquareLandscaping
09-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Add it to your Lawn Service Package. It should come included.

dmkosko
09-01-2009, 10:36 PM
If I add it to the cutting/ weed whacking service, do i come every week, every two weeks, or let the customer determine it?

Mike Custom
09-01-2009, 11:16 PM
let them decide it, the more often you come the easier it will be on you, i do weekly weeding on some of my accounts and most of the time its just like a few weeds or so which are a cinch if you bring a backpack sprayer of roundup!:cool2:

dmkosko
09-02-2009, 12:20 AM
thanks for the help

RedSquareLandscaping
09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
where r u in central jersey in in bergen

dmkosko
09-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm going to be doing a job in which im installing a rock wall between a garden bed and lawn. Should I weed the area prior to starting the job? or since they only the wall, just do the wall?

curbappealco
09-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Depends on the size of the bed. If you can do it rather quickly I would do it just as good business. But a large bed or something that will take you more than 30mins or a ton of disposal I would just weed the area around the rock wall and then quote them on weeding the rest of the area. I am sure if you do a good job on the wall they will have you weed the bed :)

deere615
09-03-2009, 10:42 PM
seems like there is alot of those around here ehh

White Gardens
09-04-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm going to be doing a job in which im installing a rock wall between a garden bed and lawn. Should I weed the area prior to starting the job? or since they only the wall, just do the wall?

Pull any large weeds, spray the rest with round-up.

STIHL GUY
09-07-2009, 06:45 PM
i charge by the hour. weeding sucks so i dont do too much of it