PDA

View Full Version : Need help understanding commercial install bid specs

wildstarblazer
08-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I just got an opportunity to bid landscape installation at a new restaurant that will be opening soon in my town.
They sent me a pdf with specs for it seems for the entire job. From cabinets, electrical to asphalt, grading, irrigation etc.
I'm not too sure what or how to bid on it. Why would they send me all the specs for areas
I don't do??

They list the plants they want to use and there is a separate landscape plan. Do you think this is where I am to stick to?

I don't want to ask them directly yet because I don't want to seem like I don't know what
I'm doing even though I don't. Well I know how to landscape but never dealt with all these
technicalities.

Anyone have experience with this type of bidding??
Thanks

TPnTX
08-25-2009, 07:38 AM
that is typical to send you the entire file. They know you aren't a general contractor. Just look at the Landscape specs. L1 L2...
Maybe irrigation, that you need to make sure of. Also they should notify you of any changes appended but ask anyway. Ask about payment terms as well. You'll have to float this job. Do they hold back any pay at the end of the job.
Don't be naive either, check out the company who signs the contract. There is a lot of crap going on right now.

LB1234
08-25-2009, 05:52 PM
no such thing as a dumb question. some of those spec/bid sheets are laughable. Ask away so you may run away as quick as possible.

baddboygeorge
08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
most commercial work takes 90-120 days to get paid be prepared!

wildstarblazer
08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks, I Appreciate the feedback!

AWJ Services
08-26-2009, 04:33 PM

Just ask the General contractor ahead of bidding what the schedule (time wise ) for payment is that way you can adjust your bid accordingly.

forestfireguy
08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Are you bidding it to the GC or the owner/management co.? If the GC at least in our area most have either a crew of hacks they use and do it themselves or they have their guy already picked and in their pocket.......Just my 2 cents.

wildstarblazer
08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
It's an out of state company. I don't think I'm gonna waste my time on this project.

LB1234
08-29-2009, 11:19 PM

not true in my cause.

maybe the walmarts or burger kings of the world, but not your local business's. We have a net30 pay and they are normally paid before the due date.

andyslawncare
08-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Send the bid specs to me and I'll bid on it if your going to let it slide. Bid on what you can do is all you can do when they send you everything.

Kate Butler
08-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Be VERY specific: by each line item. Also be sure and read up what your post-installation obligations would be (warranties, vandalism, etc..). Be sure and factor all of that in.

wildstarblazer
08-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Send the bid specs to me and I'll bid on it if your going to let it slide. Bid on what you can do is all you can do when they send you everything.

If your serious send me a pm and I'll give you the details.

billwlod
09-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I take the pdf and forward the landscaping pages to a print shop to be printed, get yourself a scale ruler and start measuring.