PDA

View Full Version : Odd Weed: Resistant to Weed Kill

Triton46
08-24-2009, 09:53 PM
I've tried granular and sprays...nothing works. I'm trying to avoid RoundUp unless necessary (have some grass and new sod in the area). This weed does not have waxy leaves, but the weed spray does bead on the leaf. It appears to like areas of high water. It grows quick and high and spreads out fast.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-24-2009, 11:00 PM
What weed killers have you tried?

Stillwater
08-25-2009, 12:34 AM
possible mouseear chickweed I might be wrong, spray with a soapy solution wait 15 then spray again with your selective. if that doesn't work, bite the bullet and round up and get it over with this crap is going to spread big time. I find it near bird feeders......

Triton46
08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I've tried Scotts Weed and Feed (granular) and Specracide Weed Stop.

I don't think it is Mouseear Chickweed, but it does look like a type of chickweed (with the exception that it grows tall and chickweed tends to stay low and spread fast).

We've got more of this stuff out back. We had our downspouts rerouted (underground) behind our fence at the very back of our yard (slight slope). Ever since this change, this stuff has popped up there quickly in that area (it was barren before). Prior to that, there was no growth of this stuff behind my fence. The area in the picture is in my front yard and is a low bowl type area that collects a lot of water. The rest of the yard is free of this stuff.

RAlmaroad
08-25-2009, 03:25 PM
We have this stuff in many of the wooded areas of TENNESSEE not SC. It's name is oriental "something". Atrazine/Trimec will fry it. Since I've mainly sprayed it in these wooded areas, there wasn't much harm to the floor. HOWEVER, do not use Atrazine/Trimec NOW. It's too hot. Wait until it cools down to below 85 or so. I sprayed during the spring when it was young.

grass4gas
08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
It sure looks like Japanese Stiltgrass. Use acclaim extra. Follow label, and should start to knock it out. Broadleaf weed control won't touch it.

If you plan on seeding this fall, take a flail blade dethatcher to it. This stuff comes up pretty easy. Then, either spray what little maybe left, or just seed and aerate right then and there. Next year, start treating it when needed.

RAlmaroad
08-25-2009, 04:52 PM
It sure looks like Japanese Stiltgrass. Use acclaim extra. Follow label, and should start to knock it out. Broadleaf weed control won't touch it.

If you plan on seeding this fall, take a flail blade dethatcher to it. This stuff comes up pretty easy. Then, either spray what little maybe left, or just seed and aerate right then and there. Next year, start treating it when needed.

That's it--I knew it was oriental.

Think Green
08-25-2009, 10:03 PM
That is Japanese Stiltgrass for sure..........................!!
We have it growing in all of our customer's Liriope.............!!!!!
We hate this stuff and it has just appeared within the last 5 years.
This stuff gets about 16" tall and spreads like their non related brothers......(bamboo) !!
Those darn migrating birds are responsible...................??
Try phenoxyprop ! yes, broadleaf killers or 3-way don't work on it once it is established. woody stemmed stalks and hard to penetrate leaves.

Triton46
08-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! Will wait for it to get cooler and take care of it when I re-seed.