PDA

View Full Version : Thyme lawn

diginahole
04-25-2002, 08:08 PM
I'm going to be installing about 250 sq ft of thyme and was planning on using Wolly Thyme. The area will be used as a play area for children. I was thinking to add some intrest to the area I might use 2 varieties of Thyme. I chose the Wolly for its low height and tolerance for being walked upon but it lacks the fragrance associated with thyme. Does anyone have a variety that works well in a fairly high abuse situation? Because it is a childs play area should I be concerned about bees being atracted to Thyme, or are there varieties sans flower but still with fragrance?

dan deutekom
04-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Blair

I have used Gold Stream Thyme, Minus Thyme and Lemon Carpet Thyme with great success. These are hardy in our area, give a variaty of foliage colours, very low growing and take a lot of abuse. When crushed they do have fragrance. Don"t worry about bees because they will not be an issue at all. You will have to plant these fairly densly because they will only grow to about 3 times their size in one season. Make sure you have a sandy well drained soil with a good amount of sun. These variaties are used in the small stepping stone path in the attached picture

Dan

diginahole
04-25-2002, 08:37 PM
One more question... should I worry about one variety overtaking the other. I am leaning toward using woolly and lemon carpet. Lemon carpet is supposed to be about as tough as nails acording to Richter's.

dan deutekom
04-25-2002, 08:47 PM
I havn't had a problem with it. If you get variaties that have the same general traits they seem to just grow up to each other with a very definate dividing line.

diginahole
04-25-2002, 08:59 PM
cool, I think I will go with the lemon carpet and woolly then. I am going to use plugs at 4" spacing, should I expect full coverage this year?

Stonehenge
04-25-2002, 10:14 PM
I think I've seen that picture before!! :D

My yard is very small and really has no room left to scape, even for experimentation. My wife and I hope to be house/land hunting relatively soon, and I'd love to have a garden area that includes a lot of stone with thyme growing between some generous joints. It has such a distinctive look and feel.

dan deutekom
04-26-2002, 05:03 AM
With that spacing and good home owner care it should be full by the end of the year.