PDA

View Full Version : Help with a poorly done sod job

TheNatural
08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a new customer who put some sod down himself last season and didn't do much prep work to the areas he sodded. Most of the soil he dropped the sod on was really crappy. It was mostly sand and full of rocks. He also didn't do a good job leveling it either.

So this season this area which is a side hill about 30 yards long hardly grew much at all and has dried up fast in some areas.

I was wondering what's the best course of action here to help bring this turf back. I was thinking of spreading a good compost over it to try and help condition the poor soil underneath. I suppose I should get a soil test as well to see what it's lacking. As far as the poor leveling job I guess I just have to work on those areas by hand one by one.

What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Think Green
08-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Sometimes the cost of the sod far outweighs the budget of most people. They often find themselves short on preparation of the site because of the expenses. I always tell my customers to do it right or not do it at all!!
Sand will be good for drainage and rocks good for structural support but neither will do nothing for sustaining nutrients or excellent root structure.
It is hard to tell the customer that what they did wasn't correct, without making them mad at you or sounding like a know-it-all. Tell them the basics of good soil structure and try to emphasize the importance of starting over or spending the same amount or more over the next several years in topdressing. With this being on a hill, the nutrients are going to end up at the bottom anyway.