PDA

View Full Version : I need suggestions for a bed layout!

bah1491
08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Heres what im working with, the customer had us remove the rock and now wants new landscaping put in. Im not totally sure what plants to use to help prevent erosion. The large rock is now gone, im going to bring in some topsoil and use a weed fabric. Any suggestions would be great.

a plus bob
08-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Some pictures would help alot so we know what your dealing with.

bah1491
08-25-2009, 05:37 PM
im trying to get pictures lol ive been having trouble loading them....

bah1491
08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
here we go....

I dont think erosion will be too much of an issue, but id still like to see some ideas as far as plantings go.

Smallaxe
08-26-2009, 08:20 AM
I would just go to a descent nursery and find what ever fast growing ground cover plant attaches to the hillside easily to replace the rocks. In the midst of it - plant shrubs that match the house and terrain.

Talking the customer into keeping the rocks and placing shrubs in amongst them, would have been the way to go. Or terracing stairs with landscaping timbers is good for moving around the outside of the house.

I wouldn't bring in a bunch of topsoil so it can wash away - I would just dump compost into the individual planting holes.
Any mulch? Or is the weed fabric going to be your erosion control?

ron mexico75
08-26-2009, 09:58 AM
How about this juniper I posted below? I'm not a huge fan of juniper but this variety is pretty nice because it's low growing and gets a purplish tint over the winter.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/j/junhor/junhor1.html

This Bearberry is nice too.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/a/arcuva/arcuva1.html

Hope this helps you out.

bah1491
08-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks....i will only bring in maybe 20 or 30lbs of top soild just to fill in the low spots around the house and some other areas. I tried to get her to keep the rock, but she hates the insects, trash, and the overall look for that area i guess. i was trying to convince her to do a sitting wall that curved with the patio and then landscaping behind it, but she wants to do a wall at another location in the lawn. I dont think erosion will be much of a concern the slope doesnt get much water run off.

bah1491
08-26-2009, 03:31 PM
and yes, im going to be using mulch over the fabric

RedMaple Lawns
08-30-2009, 08:41 PM
I think the Bearberry would work and look great, especially after a couple growing seasons.

pitrack
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
and yes, im going to be using mulch over the fabric

I wouldn't use fabric, since you have this slope I think the mulch will tend to slide down it.

I would get some quick rooting plants and just put down a pre-emergent then mulch on the dirt, maybe throw a couple smaller boulders in there to break it up and to somewhat help with erosion. My 2 cents.