PDA

View Full Version : Kill tall weeds, sunflowers, woody bushes growing tall behind fence

BrendonTW
08-25-2009, 07:10 PM
I have a person who wants me to give them an estimate on spraying around the inside of their fence of their back yard to keep the bermuda from growing and making it not necessary to trim around the fence any more. I could just use round-up for this.

However, on the other side of his fence he has sun flowers, tall grass, and random plants that are somewhat thick in the stem and some that are thin. Some of the think ones are a few inches in diameter. I suppose after cutting these off that I cannot use round-up on these bigger plants.

Normally when spraying round-up, I spray it, give it a week to take effect, and then come trim off all of the dead grass leftover so there is no yellow. I can do that on the inside of the fence with the bermuda, but what should I use to do the back and in what order? Cut it off first or spray it first? Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with...

BrendonTW
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Pictures...

Think Green
08-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Brendon,
Cut the stuff down to at least 3 inches with your line trimmer. Then come over the top of what is left after removing the remnants and spray this with gly and adjuvant.
I can only hope that you are a licensed applicator in the state of Oklahoma, because these types of sites are in part of the basic EPA section. You can and will take a chance of polluting ground water or wells from applications like this with other herbicides..
Where does this waterway end-up????

BrendonTW
08-25-2009, 07:51 PM
I am not currently a licensed applicator. I will be receiving the license this winter but I understand that this doesn't cover me as of right now.

The waterway actually ends up no-where. It runs into a field area that is just overgrown weeds. From what I could find, the water runs from a single street drain. I think they over did it when they built the things as big as it is. It clearly doesn't get much water running through it.

Would I even be able to purchase these chemicals without having my license. Is there something else similar I can use? Are the chemicals actually called "gly" and "adjuvant"? Do I mix these together?

Thank you for your assistance.

White Gardens
08-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Brendon,
Cut the stuff down to at least 3 inches with your line trimmer. Then come over the top of what is left after removing the remnants and spray this with gly and adjuvant.
I can only hope that you are a licensed applicator in the state of Oklahoma, because these types of sites are in part of the basic EPA section. You can and will take a chance of polluting ground water or wells from applications like this with other herbicides..
Where does this waterway end-up????

Excellent post Green.

Definitively be careful of the license requirements. Here in IL you must be certified in right of way and water shed applications in order to spray a site like that.

White Gardens
08-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Another thing to consider Brendon, is that is not your clients property.

It can really bite you if you are caught by a hippie neighbor.

I would just cut it down or pull the sunflowers and come back to maintain it, say once a month, or once every 1.5 months.

Think Green
08-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Brendon,
Glyphosate is just the real chemical name of Round-up. Adjuvants or surfactants are usually already in round-up, hence the name round up ultra or round up plus.
I didn't mean to sound like a professor here, but secrets are not easily obtained for the masses.
You can search online for sterilant herbicides, but you are playing with fire, especially on a customers lawn. Most of the commercialized sterilants are water mobile and will travel with excess erosion to offsite areas. There was a Doctor here in town that skipped out on payment of another co.'s tree work. The guy applied Spike herbicide around his large oak trees........................killed them dead including about 10' of grass.
The lawn was irrigated and the trails of runoff included the Spike herbicide. The offsite runoff ended up in a nearby water reserviour and destroyed the vegetation within it.
The tree service lost his license...........his privledge license, and his ISA Certification.
Here is something that you can sell on this customer. Tell them that this grass is, in fact, holding down erosion. This waterway is within the easement of the city or the county where you live. IF you go and kill this material down to the soil, in time during the rainy season, this customer will be undermined with erosion and could lose that fence and those posts. Maintaining this area should be up to the city divisions, but from experience that is not entirely the case and point. You can help the customer by keeping it trimmed and cleaned up. This will help you make some extra money just as White Gardens mentioned.....!!!!

White Gardens,
Thanks for the response,
I happen to talk to alot of people who have this issue and are at TSC looking to do these same tasks, and they all find out that these chemicals take a license. If the guys at Lesco are selling this stuff to people without one, then that is their issue with each state they reside. Product names, container lot #'s, etc. are taken when I purchase a gallon of product like Garlon 4.