PDA

View Full Version : What to use for weed suppression around ponds ??

Bluelude1
08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I have a 2 acre pond that has an issue with cockelburs and various other types of weeds growing around the edges, but it doesn't have any problems with anything really growing in the water. I have heard that the design of Roundup doesn't make it really conducive to this type of application, but is there something else out there that would work well?

Thanks

Pythium
08-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Reward is labeled in my area for around ponds. BE SURE TO READ THE LABEL REGARDING BATHING USE AND DRINKING WATER, IRRIGATION USE.

greendoctor
08-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Aquaneat or Rodeo is also allowed around water. Those will also do more than just burn down vegetation. For woody or vining weeds aquatic labeled triclopyr is an option. I know triclopyr will kill cockleburs easily. Read the labels and is this application covered by your certification?

txgrassguy
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
In Texas the "standard" category 3A Turf and Ornamental will NOT cover applications near water - the Aquatic needs to be added.

Of course this presupposes the O.P. has a license to begin with and after reading his rather elementary question I rather doubt a license does exist.

One last point Blue, in Texas the Department of Agriculture, aka TDA, is now the parent organization for Structural Pest Control Board - so if you are still applying over the counter box store crap without a license you MUST retain written records for two years. Or your butt will really be blue as fines start at $2,500.00 and are non-appealable.

upidstay
08-28-2009, 09:50 AM
You can use round up right up to the edge of the water, just not in it.

However, Glyphosate is OK for fish, etc. It's the surfactants in the Round Up tht are toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms. I'd use the AquaNeat. Know a few guys who have used it and said it worked great.

Make sure you check with your state and local authorities for permit requirements. They will nail you to a wall if your I's aren't dotted correctly here in CT!!

Ric
08-29-2009, 11:33 AM
You can use round up right up to the edge of the water, just not in it.
However, Glyphosate is OK for fish, etc. It's the surfactants in the Round Up tht are toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms. I'd use the AquaNeat. Know a few guys who have used it and said it worked great.

Make sure you check with your state and local authorities for permit requirements. They will nail you to a wall if your I's aren't dotted correctly here in CT!!

upidstay

I believe you need to re-read and Study the Roundup Label. I think you will be very surprised at where the label doesn't allow you to spray it.

Bluelude1

Do a search here, there has been a lot posted about pond application that I will not retype.