PDA

View Full Version : Used Bobcat...opinions?

Entropy
04-25-2002, 11:56 PM
Hi guys, here's the deal.

I'm a homeowner looking at a commerical walk-behind. I currently have a Simplicity riding mower (38") is about to kick the hard one, I've been looking at others as replacements. Until today, I've been looking at another rider, until my bro-in-law said I should just get a commercial deck (walk-behind) and be done with it. After some investigation, I found the $3K-$4K prices to be a bit much.

An hour later, he calls back, and tells me he called a commercial dealer for me and got hold of one of his old friends. Turns out his friend just took in a 2-3 year old Bobcat 48" commercial deck (belt-driven) with a 15 HP Kohler engine. Three-blade system. New, I understand this machine goes for about $3200-$3500. My price for this: $800. It was turned in with a damaged transmission spindle (if I recall correctly), and that will be fixed before purchase at no additional charge.

I don't really want another tractor, and as a homeowner, I don't really see the need to pay for a full-on commerical deck in the $3K range. But this price is a direct result of my bro-in-law's relationship with his buddy at the mower shop, and this sounds like a sweet deal. We're going to go look at it tomorrow, and barring any mechanical problems, I might pick it up.

Anyone have any experience with Bobcat? I know a lot of golf courses use them.

Any input would be WAY helpful. I'm a newbie to this stuff, and I have to decide quickly.

Thanks.

scagman
04-26-2002, 01:18 AM
I got a bobcat 36" and I love it. Buy it!

Tony Harrell
04-26-2002, 05:47 AM
New Bob-Cat 48 is around $2500.

Entropy
04-26-2002, 08:46 AM
How's the cut quality of the Bobcat 48"? What about the Kohler engine?

Does the Bobcat stripe fairly well?

Tony Harrell
04-27-2002, 06:59 AM
The cut looks great, and everyone around here uses them. I don't own one YET. As far as engines, I met a guy yesterday that had a BC ztr and said it had 350 hrs and was on his 3rd Kohler. That sounds like **** to me. You probably need some advice from people who actually have them.

bobbygedd
04-28-2002, 04:49 AM
i have an old, beat up 48"bobcat with a kawa engine. runs great, and the cut is excelent

jeffyr
04-29-2002, 02:58 PM
I have a 36 bobcat with the kohler 14 and had a 48" with the same motor (sold it for a rider). That 48 would cut great and stripe great (especially with doubles). I wish I could have sold the 36 instead but needed it for gates.

Just for comparison sake : I sold my 48 with the 14 and many hours (?) for $1450 on ebay.....I was looking for $900 as a reserve but the bidding went up and up. At $800 I would take a good look because it sounds great.

jeffyr

Entropy
04-29-2002, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the replies, all. I'm picking up the mower this Friday.

BTW, it has notched blades on it; I don't know if they're Gators. Should I keep them or go to a high lift blade? The Gators on my old Simplicity cut like hell, but that could be from the insanely low blade speed.