PDA

View Full Version : seeding with K31

teejet
08-26-2009, 08:11 PM
does anyone still use K31 at all? I am new to seeding and I am going to by mostly millennium fescue. I am debating buying some k31 because it is cheap, also I have some lawns that already have it in them,and I thought it would blend better. I have read it sucks anyone is this true?

RigglePLC
08-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Very true--K-31 sucks. It has a very wide blade and poor agronomic properties. It was popular in the 1950's. Go with a top TTTF cultivar, like "Aztec".

grass4gas
08-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I am probably in the minority here, but some of the best lawns that I have seen through the years are k-31 lawns. Once established, they are pretty much bullet proof.

They can and do have some issues with brown patch, but so do some of the other TTTF lawns. K-31 is also very durable and can take a good deal of abuse once established.

I use it for fenced areas that have heavy traffic such as dogs, play areas and such. Most people are turned off because of the wide blades.

Take it for what it's worth.

EVM
08-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I am probably in the minority here, but some of the best lawns that I have seen through the years are k-31 lawns. Once established, they are pretty much bullet proof.

They can and do have some issues with brown patch, but so do some of the other TTTF lawns. K-31 is also very durable and can take a good deal of abuse once established.

I use it for fenced areas that have heavy traffic such as dogs, play areas and such. Most people are turned off because of the wide blades.

Take it for what it's worth.

K-31 is tuff as nails. Any of you guys try Titan Limited TF? Very good stuff

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-26-2009, 09:26 PM
K-31 is tuff, but looks like crap! Not many customers would be happy having a lawn of that! If for some reason you do use it, make sure it is 100%-don't overseed a KBG/Rye lawn with it, or you'll be sorry! It grows at a much different rate than other varietys, grows in clumps & sticks out like a sore thumb:cry:

ted putnam
08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
The Highway Dept uses it around here for erosion control(I'm sure because it is cheap. It gows azz deep to an elephant if it misses a mowing or 2.

JB1
08-26-2009, 10:28 PM
we still use it, grows well in red clay and rocks.

ATVracer
08-27-2009, 07:05 PM
K31 is the only grass that grows well in my lawn, it is a little sandy. I have planted lots of TTTF but when the dry spells hit it is the first to go dormant. Meanwhile the K31 is growing green as ever. I don't see anything wrong with the looks of it as long as the yard is uniform.

lilmarvin4064
08-27-2009, 08:29 PM
K31 is the only grass that grows well in my lawn, it is a little sandy. I have planted lots of TTTF but when the dry spells hit it is the first to go dormant. Meanwhile the K31 is growing green as ever. I don't see anything wrong with the looks of it as long as the yard is uniform.

I agree. IMO, it's all or nothing. Kill everything and plant it, or remove patches of it with 'gly' and renovate. It doesn't blend well with Bluegrass and TTTFs or fine fescues. On lower maintenance sunny turf it does the job well (erosion control, low maintenance, large fields, etc). But on smaller, "wetter" lawns mixed w/KBG, TTTF, shade mixes (CRF, etc) expect it to stand out like a sore thumb (a weed!). It will never be as green as a Turf-type fescue.

integrityman
08-27-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't use K31 ..... When I do want to use a turf type fescue, I purchase a product from Tractor Supply called Ground Hog or Hound Dog. It seems to be an excellent mix of tall fescue and perennial ryegrass. Plus it is relatively inexpensive. It does very well in drought and wet conditions. It seems to stay green regardless of how little water it gets.

teejet
09-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I am going to go with K31 on the lawns that have over 20% of it already in them. Seems like a no brainer to me. The last guy used the shorter dark green fescue and it looks bad.

david shumaker
09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I used some KY31`today in a ladies back yard. The yard has alot of big oaks and she said the yard has always been hard to grow grass. I used Rebel Tall Fescue on the front and put down the KY 31 in the back just to see if something would grow. Some of the yard was as hard as cement even after alot of rain, so I just aerated the good areas and seeded. `\

CLC03
09-17-2009, 11:02 PM
I have a neighbor who would like to overseed with some form of fescue. He doesn't want to water as much, so this is why he wants fescue. Any recommendations for overseeding with fescue? He wants a fine bladed fescue. I am not sure what results he should expect. I think the fescue would standout because it grows faster, especially the wide blade fescue. I have seen fine fescue that naturally dies out when it is really hot and humid. I think it looks like crap. Any thoughts?

Volman
09-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Ky31 works well if you sow it thick.350-400lbs/A. It's been around so long because it can survive when others can't. You can use the NTEP trials to find goo varities, but there pretty expensive. usually 3x KY31.