PDA

View Full Version : weed and feed before overseed?

jakenbake
08-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi all. Question for you experts:

I live in south west ohio.

I planted a new lawn last year (early Nov.), and did it a little late since we moved into our house late.

Anyway, currently its about 50/50 grass to weed ratio. I definitely plan on overseeding this year (mid Sept), but was wondering if you would recommend to weed and feed first? i orginally planted tall fescue and plan on overseed with the same.

Also, if i rent a slit seeder, is it really necessary to aerate as well?

Thanks for the help!

RigglePLC
08-26-2009, 09:39 PM
You should have killed the weeds in July. However it would be best to overseed with a slit seeder this week while the soil is at its warmest--and germination would be quickest. Any annual weeds and crabgrass will be declining as night temps go below 45, and dead after frost. Stay with high quality seed. About 10 percent bluegrass will add recuperative potential as bluegrass creeps with its rhizomes which fescue does not have. No need to aerate. Potentially you could spray weeds after seed is mowed twice--but you will probably have to tackle the crabgrass in spring, and weeds next summer.

jakenbake
08-26-2009, 09:51 PM
thanks for the info.

is it true that the grass will over power at least some of the weeds?

edit: also, i need to trench electric out to my shed this weekend, and wanted to wait until after that to seed. so probably won't be till next weekend anyway. still no on the weed killer?

greenskeeper79
08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
If all you have is weed n feed then go for it.

Take out the weeds so the new turf has little competition.

Be sure to help establish (water, etc) the new turf because otherwise you will have more weeds taking the place of the ones you killed.

Aeration always helps, never hurts turf (you can't over-aerifiy)

Fescue is one of the slowest germinating turfgrasses. I don't know where you are but I choose rye/blue for my yard when I did a renovation. The rye came up fast and the blue fills in the bare areas after I weed kill.

jfoxtrot9
08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I like to line up my 4th app of fert when I overseed. This usually falls in Sept, and I will use starter fert over the entire lawn. This feeds the whole lawn a as well as add the extra phosphorus for the new seedlings. I would with hold on the fert at this point until you overseed. Hit the weeds with a spray killer, like weed-b-gon.

jakenbake
08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
ok. i guess my concern is the weed killer hurting the new grass seed. will it be alright if i apply the weed killer a week before i overseed?

jfoxtrot9
08-27-2009, 10:21 PM
ok. i guess my concern is the weed killer hurting the new grass seed. will it be alright if i apply the weed killer a week before i overseed?

exactly.:waving:

greenskeeper79
08-27-2009, 10:34 PM

not a problem