PDA

View Full Version : Reel mowing

SlowMow
08-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Okay, so I have a bit of a crazy question. Has anybody or does anybody use a reel mower and cut smaller residential lawns weekly? Just curious, because I use one for my own yard at home, but you have to stay on top of it and not let it get carried away.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerknower
08-26-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a lot of lcos that mow with reels. If the customer wants it done with a reel, just charge them more and make sure you check for rocks.

STIHL GUY
08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
i picked one up on the side of the road but it was old and hard to push. no fun so i got rid of it

STIHL GUY
08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
i have never had a customer ask for that type of service nor seen a reel mower being used around ee except the golf course

Az Gardener
08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
See picture of one of my guys below. I guess it is tiny in the pic but it is a 27" reel

cgaengineer
08-27-2009, 06:35 AM
They are very common around here for higher end subdivisions and commercial properties.

txgrassguy
08-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Did for years until I purchased a dedicated bagging machine - in my case an Exmark Navigator.
I have used, with great success, the Hyiater Harriet 21" walk behind rotary mowers with the drum drive when mowing par 3 tees on a public golf course I maintained. Handily cut at 1/2", bagged the debris and best of all I didn't have to repair reels damaged from golf tees.
I have also successfully used this same mower for residential mowing and it has ended up being a complete success.
Handles undulations well, mows at the 1/2" setting quite well, collects clippings and small twigs and the best feature is the finished cut is indistinguishable from a reel mower.
Less costly overall by far than a reel in terms of initial equipment price, ease of sharpening, bags essentially everything, is durable - so no more worries about the reel height of cut getting whacked out of adjustment or the reel to bed knife setting causing either poor mowing or rifling of the reel and bed knife.
So- to answer your question - I used too with everything from a Toro Series 5 floating head greens mower to a Jacobsen PGM 26" commercial walk behind reel mower, to a National 84" reel mower and I still have a Toro 216-G 7' wide utility tri-plex.
Bear in mind I have over 20 years experience maintaining reel mowers, I have in my shop a Neary 180 spin grinder with the bed knife grinding attachment - and occasionally a customer will want one of their crappy tru-cuts ground but the only time the Toro 216-G is fired up is to move it out of the way.
Now I use the Navigator exclusively.