PDA

View Full Version : how to kill K31 in lawn?

piste
08-27-2009, 08:23 AM
I have a lawn mostly KBG, fescue, rye that has a few areas of Kentucky 31 that I want to kill...naturally with minimized damage to rest of the lawn. Any and all suggestions appreciated..
Posted via Mobile Device

Pythium
08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Round up is an option but since you want to got naturally, try solarization. Place a clear plastic tarp over the areas and weight it down. Allow a couple of weeks to kill off the turf then reseed.
Some may suggest 20% vinegar. I would discourage this practice as it is a strong acid with the ability to cause permanent blindness and breathing problems. Round Up is safer for you (compare MSDS's if you don't believe me) and will give a more complete kill of the turf. Good Luck

piste
08-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Bad word choice on my part...by "naturally" I meant obviously...as in obviously I do not want to kill my lawn good grasses....I am open to ANY solutions...organic/natural or not...being trained as a chemist I believe inorganics need luvin too!!!:)

piste
08-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Round up is an option but since you want to got naturally, try solarization. Place a clear plastic tarp over the areas and weight it down. Allow a couple of weeks to kill off the turf then reseed.
Some may suggest 20% vinegar. I would discourage this practice as it is a strong acid with the ability to cause permanent blindness and breathing problems. Round Up is safer for you (compare MSDS's if you don't believe me) and will give a more complete kill of the turf. Good Luck

Thanks. I was hoping for a selective herbicide sort of solution...rather than having to kill the whole area....

Pythium
08-27-2009, 09:54 AM
You could "paint" Round Up on the individual plants, time consuming, with minimal collateral damage to desired grasses. Use a cotton swab or a small paint brush to coat the K31 with round up poured into a small disposable container. Be careful not to spill obviously round up will most things green.

Pythium
08-27-2009, 10:02 AM
I take back my S.O.L on a selective K31 herbicide. Certainty herbicide is labeled for just such a thing. I have not used it so I cannot give a fair assessment of it. Here is a link to product info http://www.monsanto.com/ito/layout/turf/certainty.asp

gardenkeeper88
08-27-2009, 10:05 AM
I wish lesco wouldn't have stopped making thier TFC It worked pretty good for me.

starry night
08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks. I was hoping for a selective herbicide sort of solution...rather than having to kill the whole area....

Spray with a compression sprayer. So what if you hit a few blades of good grass around the K31, you're going to be re-seeding the area anyway.

LushGreenLawn
08-27-2009, 12:50 PM
In my area k31 is a brand of KBG or Fescue?

What type of grass are you trying to rid your KBG lawn of?
Posted via Mobile Device

Runner
08-27-2009, 01:16 PM
K31 (Kentucky 31) is a tall fescue. It is that wide bladed stuff that is often used for contractor blend and is often planted along road and highway sides. Certainty is one product, there is another called Corsair that is labeled for this. There is also a technique for this. Get a wicket (hockeystick shaped applicator with sponge applicator on bottom). These can also be easily made with pvc. Mow the K31 and surround areas down low. In about 3 days, all the tall fescue will be higher than the desirable grass. It can ten be painted. If they are just hard dense blotches of K31, the just a covering of glyphosate will do it. Always know that when you spray this stuff, you have to spray just outside it as well - into the surrounding areas. Though this stuff has a bunch type growth habit, it can still reproduce just underneath the surface.