PDA

View Full Version : sun spots

TuffWork
08-28-2009, 12:17 AM
I have a had a problem in a few of my yards. The dry spots have gotten drier and more brown as we wind up the summer. So, I was curious what you would do to fix this. I know they are getting plenty of water and it is not grubworms. It is mostly close to the driveways where the sun reflects more. I had planned on doing a little dethatching by hand with a rake and spreading some seed and seeding soil. It has worked in the past. However, the particular one that I'm really worried about has sod that was laid this spring, and it did great up until the last month or so. I hope somebody knows something I don't. I should probably sharpen my blades more often for starters.

On a little side note. I was curious how you guys sharpen. (belt sander?)Right now I take it to the dealer every so often, but that's getting a little ridiculous. I have too much business and not enough time to take them there for just that.

Smallaxe
08-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Plenty of water doesn't necessarily mean the grassroots are benefitting. What's the soil like. Good structure? Too sandy? Compacted?
Along a driveway could be a lot of things including excessive heat. Also oil from cars working its way to the grass, or other toxins.

TuffWork
08-28-2009, 07:25 PM
To be honest none of those are big factors. I think it's just still hot and and it's a bluegrass/fescue mix yard. I was just really hoping maybe there was something I could do to prevent it from getting worse so I can just lay some seed here in another month or so when it cools off. It's still 90 degrees here during the day.

Smallaxe
08-29-2009, 09:19 AM
So what is the soil like?

White Gardens
08-30-2009, 01:18 PM
To be honest none of those are big factors. I think it's just still hot and and it's a bluegrass/fescue mix yard. I was just really hoping maybe there was something I could do to prevent it from getting worse so I can just lay some seed here in another month or so when it cools off. It's still 90 degrees here during the day.

When we have dry/hot summers around here, our cool-season yards look terrible when not watered.

About 3 years ago we had record heat and drought. The lawns went way past moisture starved brown and actually looked dead like they had been sprayed by a vegetation killer.

I was talking to my G-pa about it and he said just wait, they will come back. Sure enough he was right. They all came back as soon as it started to rain and cool off. I was highly surprised as things look really dead.

I would wait until you see the weather changes in your area to where it's cooler and your getting rain again. Then, when you get the chance, over-seed and maybe fertilize (if your lawn needs it) to help re-establish it faster. Maybe go a little heavier on the fescue as it is a little more hardier than KBG.

Kinda like SmallAxe's thread on Less Water requirements. I've stayed out of that conversation, but could be applied here.