PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Lawn Fertilizer Companies, Good or Bad

mstoakes
02-13-2000, 09:57 PM
We have used Chemlawn for the past three years. Can't really see any improvement in our grass as opposed to our own, somewhat haphazard, applications. We can apply fertilizer and de-weed for about $75 a year. Is the $250 a year for Chemlawn, or a similar company, worth it.<br>Thanks.

GroundKprs
02-14-2000, 11:38 AM
It often happens in any business, the larger a particular company is, the less personal the service, but also the cheaper the cost. Extra items are pushed not because of usefulness to a particular site, but because of the profit on that extra service or product. <p>If you want a nice lawn, there is a lot more to maintenance than fertilizer & weed control. Unfortunately, lawn care is very site specific in most areas, so if one wants exceptional appearance, one should find a knowledgable contractor who will work with you on all aspects of lawn care as pertains to your site. A general concoction will work for most all lawns, and that is usually what comes out of a tank truck and off a store shelf. You will pay more for the service because they are supplying the labor.<p>In today's economy, to have site specific lawn care, one would expect to pay up to 50% more for basic service, and perhaps have other one time special or even regular procedures done. It just depends on how much you want to get out of your lawn and landscape.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

snake1040
02-14-2000, 08:46 PM
owning a professional lawn service I have many lawns that use commercial fertilize companies. I suggest them highly because they can get better product and can do it for about the same price as you can do it yourself. Seeing and having lawns that use chemlawn it is the worst company to have. They have no bug control or anything at all that I can see I do not reccomend them and if they do have them I try to get them with someone else. I highly reccomend Dean's for around where I live they are in my opinion the best it is a family owned and operated company. Since I don't know where you are at I would suggest Massy they are all over and are very good. Hope I could be of some help.<br>

Lazer
02-14-2000, 09:57 PM
How many square feet do you have? The 75.00 (your cost) and 250.00 (their fee) seems like a large spread. <p>For better results, use somebody local. A licansed landscaper. They're more in tune with local weather, turf tendencies and they applications are generally better timed. <br>The average Trugreen-Chemlawn (same co.) technician has worked there 13 months. Our average tech has worked for us over 8 years. Who would you rather have making applications & recommendations?<p>A company is only as good as their employees. Frankly, overall, their's leave something to be desired.

AB Lawn Care
02-15-2000, 02:19 PM
I think that if I where in your situation I would either use a local company or a local franchise.We have had clients that have used companys that send flyers in the mail and come to your town a set number of times(like chemlawn ect.)and they have told our clients that their lawn needed treated with lime.In our area lime is never used becouse our soil does not need it.I would suggest you find a local company that knows what they are doing.Not all franchise companys are like that,I would just stay away from companys that are from far away.We deal with a local weed man company and they are great.I think you should just check out a couple of companys and find the one that will do the best job for you.<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care