PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming now

richonsa
08-28-2009, 09:09 AM
I am considering starting a lawn care/landscaping business. My horticulture knowledge is weak. Would anyone recommend horticulture courses at a local tech school? One consideration is making note of what textbooks are required at the tech school and then sourcing them elsewhere. Self-study would be quite simple. However, I would like some training in the area of landscape design. Perhaps attending tech school classes would be very beneficial.

Or, should I source all of the information from online sources and books on the subject? Maybe a county extension office program on plant id/installation, lawn care, etc?

Thanks in advance.

ric

Mckenzie's Maintenance
08-28-2009, 12:29 PM
search around on the internet for tech schools that offer horticulture...I know of some within hours of me in NC...but not in GA

defintely get your pesticide license cheap and great knowledge

richonsa
08-28-2009, 01:36 PM
search around on the internet for tech schools that offer horticulture...I know of some within hours of me in NC...but not in GA

defintely get your pesticide license cheap and great knowledge

I know the local schools and are familiar with their programs. I wonder if the $2,500 tuition would be better spent paying another LCO a consulting fee.

Mckenzie's Maintenance
08-28-2009, 11:15 PM
that is defintely an option. I was in daluth ga over the summer and I swear I saw at least 25 different LCOs in a weekend

jada86
08-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Your best local resource is the county extension service. If they don't have a program they can lead you to the ones out there. Get the pesticide license - the money is good and allows you to provide full service. Sometimes local comm. college has a program, look into their distance learning programs too.

richonsa
08-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Your best local resource is the county extension service. If they don't have a program they can lead you to the ones out there. Get the pesticide license - the money is good and allows you to provide full service. Sometimes local comm. college has a program, look into their distance learning programs too.

Thank you. Yes, I contacted the local extension office via email yesterday. They have yet to respond. I'll go over there Monday and obtain any free materials I can. As for the local college, there are some programs and one school has online courses. Due to being laid off I qualify for free training, so I am probably going to register monday for fall quarter. They have computer aided landscape design courses, as well as other classes along those lines that would be good stuff.
The only caveat is the aid might not be available to me, as I have a bachelors degree already and I am currently working on my masters degree. If not, I'll just pay for the courses I want.