PDA

View Full Version : Storing a Trailer on it's Side?

benk777
08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I am purchasing a 5x10 Aluma utility trailer that I wish to store on it's side in my garage. If I make a frame of sorts with 4"x4"s to keep the wheel/axle off the ground, would I be ok doing this? Do any of you store your trailer in this fashion?

Thanks.

Ben

DUSTYCEDAR
08-28-2009, 05:03 PM
i have stacked mine
how will you flip it up?

benk777
08-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I was thinking a simple pulley on the ceiling should do the trick. The trailer is aluminum and only weighs around 400 lbs. I think I'll size and build the frame support so that I can install it on the side, hoist it with the pulley, and then shimmy it into place. I'll probably rig something up to lock it into place so it can't tip over as well.

Thanks.

Ben

DUSTYCEDAR
08-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Just rember sh-- happens and you dont want it to fall on you

MarcSmith
08-28-2009, 05:27 PM
hope you roof trusses can handle the extra downward pressure on em... hate to break a joist...

benk777
08-28-2009, 05:30 PM
With a 400 lb trailer, do you really think that would be an issue? It will never be lifting it off the ground, the pulley would just be to assist in rocking it onto the support platform.

Thanks.

Ben

MarcSmith
08-28-2009, 08:32 PM
if its a 2x4 roof joist in a typical home garage, I'd use two pullies, one on each end to spread the load.

Why chance it...

NIXRAY
08-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Whats the reasoning for putting it in your garage...SECURITY, or just the lack of space...if its the latter why not invest in a "ez-up" somewhere on your property... Better be safe then sorry or with a broken toe

Krafty
08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
I am purchasing a 5x10 Aluma utility trailer that I wish to store on it's side in my garage. If I make a frame of sorts with 4"x4"s to keep the wheel/axle off the ground, would I be ok doing this? Do any of you store your trailer in this fashion?

Thanks.

Ben

I have a friend who did pretty much the same thing. He backs the trailer straight into the garage. He put a pulley on the ceiling joist which he had to re in-force first. He then takes the winch on his atv and uses that to pull it up. Once it is up against the wall he has anchor that anchor it to the back wall, so once it is up the majority of the weight is basically straight down on the floor. It is a nice setup and very nice to store a trailer with out taking up hardly any space. The only problem is it is such a pain in the ass to take up and down he is always borrowing my trailer. Hope this helps