PDA

View Full Version : got a funny for ya...

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Customer calls me and says "hey I got a problem." Said a few weeds(crabgrass) had popped up since I last treatmented his Bermuda lawn, so he decided to go to lowe's. Walks down the herbicide/pesticide aisle, finds a product that says "Bermuda grass control." Buys it, takes it home, and applies it to his BERMUDA LAWN ! Long story short, he now has 3/4 acre of dead bermuda we just put down last March.
Posted via Mobile Device

foreplease
08-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Hall of Fame!

LawnTamer
08-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Too funny! Wonder what the AI was?

Raven386
08-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Customer calls me and says "hey I got a problem." Said a few weeds(crabgrass) had popped up since I last treatmented his Bermuda lawn, so he decided to go to lowe's. Walks down the herbicide/pesticide aisle, finds a product that says "Bermuda grass control." Buys it, takes it home, and applies it to his BERMUDA LAWN ! Long story short, he now has 3/4 acre of dead bermuda we just put down last March.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well at least you get a few extra bucks to fix his mistakes!! :laugh:

ted putnam
08-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I'd have told him that he is paying for "professional service". Next time there is a problem between apps, call for service from the professional.

Raven386
08-29-2009, 12:16 AM
I'd have told him that he is paying for "professional service". Next time there is a problem between apps, call for service from the professional.

I would think he learned his lesson! LOL

ted putnam
08-29-2009, 12:21 AM
I would think he learned his lesson! LOL

I would say you are right! I'll bet his wife is driving that one home for sure:hammerhead: :laugh:

topsites
08-29-2009, 12:48 AM
But it only counts if the crabgrass is doing well :laugh:

greendoctor
08-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Too funny! Wonder what the AI was?

I know Bayer sells fenoxaprop(Acclaim) over the counter in a hose end bottle as a bermuda grass control. Guess it did exactly what it said it would do. This adds credibility to the position that lawn chemicals should only be sold to properly certified individuals. I know many homeowners that screwed up their lawn with Weed-B-Gon if they were applying to a warm season grass other than zoysia. They all say "it says kills weeds not grasss." Then I need to explain that Weed-B-Gon contains triclopyr, which can be used to selectively eliminate warm season grasses.

Think Green
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
If I remember correctly, the product at Lowe's is like (Duet)--Gly and Diquat.
They are also selling Imazaquin--Sethoxydim--Imazapyr--Triclopyr products now. The labels are so unclear that people don't understand what they see. Ortho, Spectracide needs to be cited for their consumer misleading labels. Where are you at now--EPA?
Lowe's said-years ago when I worked for them that-----"We will penetrate all markets with forcefull buying power and dominate the industry"---So far they are doing it with locally on nursery stock and bedding plants.
You go to their store, buy a tree, plant the tree, water the tree, spray the crap out of it with their products. The tree then dies--they will replace it for free and while you are there buy more stuff. This corporation from NC is more like Wal-Mart than you know!!
They are buying plant materials by the acre lot and for crazy low prices. Some groweries are owned by Lowe's in the South, yet the names aren't displayed.

The funny side to this problem is, just the othe day, I ran out of Image----went to lowe's and bought a quart for 19.00. My supplier in Central Arkansas sells it for more and then has delivery tacked on. This is a no brainer!!!!! I am going to check with Lowe's local manager and see if they can purchase and deliver my products cheaper and quicker for next season. The ferts too!! Remember, they have contractor services Too!!!

RigglePLC
08-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Johnson,
I am puzzled. Usually when you want to get rid of bermuda--it is almost impossible. I used the Acclaim plus triclopyr mixture in Michigan on patches of bermuda in a ryegrass lawn--customer asked me to quit after 3 treatments and minimal results. I predict the bermuda will come back. Maybe a little fert and water would speed the process up. Is it warm enough to add some new bermuda seed? Or is this a bermuda sod or sprig situation?

Raven386
08-29-2009, 11:41 AM
But it only counts if the crabgrass is doing well :laugh:

Ha. Now all I can picture is dead grass... and clumps of green Crabgrass everywhere.

underPSI
08-29-2009, 04:01 PM
I used that Bayer stuff from Lowe's and am actually impressed with the results! It didn't damage the tall fescue at all.

kirk1701
08-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Johnson,
I am puzzled. Usually when you want to get rid of bermuda--it is almost impossible. I used the Acclaim plus triclopyr mixture in Michigan on patches of bermuda in a ryegrass lawn--customer asked me to quit after 3 treatments and minimal results. I predict the bermuda will come back. Maybe a little fert and water would speed the process up. Is it warm enough to add some new bermuda seed? Or is this a bermuda sod or sprig situation?

Was thinking the same thing, I'd like to know what this customer bought at Lowe's that said "Bermuda grass control" as I have not found anything (with exception to my other thread) that don't cost over $200 just to set it back as seeing you can't kill the stuff :laugh:

For the little bit I have found, I just decided to treat with round-up via paint brush or cotton clove.

I used that Bayer stuff from Lowe's and am actually impressed with the results! It didn't damage the tall fescue at all.

Yea, tried that stuff here for the foxtail and crabgrass even with the temps at the 90 degree mark my crabgrass laughed at it :rolleyes:

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Update: chemical was one of those hose end products by Bayer , a.i. was fenoxaprop. He even asked the guy working in that section of the store and he said "yeah that's exactly what you need!" Wow, love how educated those guys are.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Riggle,
We are throwing a lot of water on the lawn at this time to wash out any residual chemical before we resod. Too late for seed or sprigs to get established, plus he lives in a wealthy neighborhood, so he is pretty embarassed and wants instant gratification. It's just a bought lesson for him.
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
09-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Have a funny of my own I thought I'd share with you all.

Recently had some tree cutters out to cut down some tree's on my property. Neighbors ended up hiring my cutter and cutting down tree's which was great for me because both neighbors are to the west and southwest of me and their leaf's always ended up in my yard :clapping:

Anyhow, along with the tree's they cut so went the stumps when the tree service had a guy come to grind all our stumps out. Me, having learned from experience the hard way removed all the wood chips, even went as far as vacuuming out what I couldn't get with a shovel before filling in the hole with fresh dirt :drinkup:

Neighbor on the other hand (75 years old) removed some of the wood chips, went and bought two bags of dirt and a bag of seed and went to work seeding the wood chips and dirt mixture ;) Now I really wanted to tell the poor guy thats not going to work, seed might germinate but won't last but uhh, I'm 40 and he's going on 80 so who am I to tell him?