PDA

View Full Version : Don't Wear That Shirt!!

Think Green
08-28-2009, 11:19 PM
This thread will be a little dramatic and yet a little funny at the same time.
We as applicator's and seasoned LCO's are familiar with colors associated with the landscape, and that certain insects are attracted to certain colors.
Does a particular color of company shirts attract hazardous insect attacks on employees? I won't forget to leave out the Boss's and owners too!!
I have tried to purchase colors of work wear that do not attract bees--wasps--hornets--or any other insect that stings in order protect myself as well as our hired help. I have always tried to keep things cool and purchase yellow, white, pink colors that correlate to spring time colors and colors that will reflect heat from the wearer. But each season, the attacks of wasp, hornet, and bees are becoming ever more popular with the yellow and pink shirts. There have been instances where the lighter green colored shirts attracted insects but not like the horrible stinging types. We dont like to use the darker colored clothing because of the intense heat that is absorbed.
What have you noticed about the use of certain colors that may have lead to your insect stings.???
Have you done research on color selections that fit your business profiles for safety.

Raven386
08-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I am in the process of having shirts made on the "safety green" color. I haven't noticed being more attractive to bees or anything. I did notice when I wear my orange shirt, people give me dirty looks. But when I wear the green they seem to be more friendly. Maybe its just me LOL. But yea, when I finally figure out how to layout the shirts I will get them made. They keep giving me different ideas and fonts. Fonts are important! Can't run around with Ariel when I can get Century Gothic!!!

But getting back on topic. I have never noticed different colored shirts attracting bees or wasps. I would imagine yellow would do it for the relationship to flowers.

2low4NH
08-29-2009, 12:27 AM
yeah you could just go with a basic grey shirt. make the employees wear reflective vests when needed and if they hit a crazy swarm take it off and run!

LawnTamer
08-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Athletic gray, or "natural", like a mottled tan work well for us.

Stillwater
08-29-2009, 01:08 AM
We wear white

Az Gardener
08-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Sky blue here in the desert.

corey4671
08-29-2009, 02:10 AM
try wearing a crimson red shirt in TN and see how many dirty looks you get....

Think Green
08-29-2009, 11:53 AM
So--------It is easy to surmise that while wearing natural colored shirts, the insects aren't lured to a person.
It is common color sense that color attracts the eye of humans. Thus, orange and yellows are used for safety and construction, not to mention the encarserated person.
Green signifies new growth--life--rebirth of dead foliage. Whatever the definition of color means on the spectrum, we have found out that while wearing colorful clothing to keep cooler and to attract passerby's for business, we also attract the likes of Hornets, bees, horsefly's, assassin bugs, wasps, dragon fly's, miller's. These colors on the other hand do not attract the insects that are normally on flowers; as aphids-spider mites-cutworms-earwigs-lacewings-borers-etc.
Wearing natural or neutral colors do pose as a blockade for the attractive reflective light that attracts certain insects to flowers. Heaven knows that if insects could smell, they would leave us alone at the onslaught of a hot day. My walker is yellow, and it attracts those stinging insects, as the roaring of the engine and the buzz of the blades have something to do with disturbing their slumber. Our Exmarks are red--they do not attract stinging insects unless driven across or disturbed. It is always the color of clothing, and the movement across the lawns from myself, the employees, and our customers while standing in the lawns that always attract these insects to come over.
Certain colognes and perfumes seem to have secret pheromones that attract them also. This is another topic that is funny to get into. Does AXE cologne spray attract insects??
Anyway, was curious as to how many of you have thought about this topic while riding on your ZTR's as you are outrunning some ground hornets, or red wasps while wearing a red or yellow t-shirt.??

Thanks for the responses!

RigglePLC
08-29-2009, 02:25 PM
A woman customer told me last week that her red shirt attracted a hummingbird. She was trying to get a picture of it.

Raven386
08-29-2009, 02:52 PM
So--------It is easy to surmise that while wearing natural colored shirts, the insects aren't lured to a person.
It is common color sense that color attracts the eye of humans. Thus, orange and yellows are used for safety and construction, not to mention the encarserated person.
Green signifies new growth--life--rebirth of dead foliage. Whatever the definition of color means on the spectrum, we have found out that while wearing colorful clothing to keep cooler and to attract passerby's for business, we also attract the likes of Hornets, bees, horsefly's, assassin bugs, wasps, dragon fly's, miller's. These colors on the other hand do not attract the insects that are normally on flowers; as aphids-spider mites-cutworms-earwigs-lacewings-borers-etc.
Wearing natural or neutral colors do pose as a blockade for the attractive reflective light that attracts certain insects to flowers. Heaven knows that if insects could smell, they would leave us alone at the onslaught of a hot day. My walker is yellow, and it attracts those stinging insects, as the roaring of the engine and the buzz of the blades have something to do with disturbing their slumber. Our Exmarks are red--they do not attract stinging insects unless driven across or disturbed. It is always the color of clothing, and the movement across the lawns from myself, the employees, and our customers while standing in the lawns that always attract these insects to come over.
Certain colognes and perfumes seem to have secret pheromones that attract them also. This is another topic that is funny to get into. Does AXE cologne spray attract insects??
Anyway, was curious as to how many of you have thought about this topic while riding on your ZTR's as you are outrunning some ground hornets, or red wasps while wearing a red or yellow t-shirt.??

Thanks for the responses!

Maybe that's why I get funny looks when I wear that shirt, they think its the local prison landscape crew!

DUSTYCEDAR
08-29-2009, 02:54 PM
i use dark green to hide the dirt and keep away the bees
also like grey

americanlawn
08-29-2009, 06:55 PM
The main thing I attract are HOT CHICKS. :laugh: Two hotties were sunbathing this morning when I was spraying their backyard. Both probably in their late twenties & both were wearing skimpy bikinis. It was only about 60 degrees, but they were out of the wind & in full sun. I figure they were tanning so they could look nice at the bars this weekend. :laugh: One gal was the customer, and the other was her sister from out of town (both single -- yep, I asked them).

I wish I had my camera to post pics, but I didn't -- truly sorry. :cry:

BTW we wear white shirts with the 'red, white, & blue' AMERICAN Flag over our heart.

Columbia Care
08-29-2009, 10:51 PM
In Middle Tennessee, I have Gray Shirts with my company logo monigramed on them. Works great - minimal dirt stains, No insect or cird hazards this year. In fact, my kids even enjoy wearing them.

lawnwizards
08-30-2009, 10:34 PM
The main thing I attract are HOT CHICKS. :laugh: Two hotties were sunbathing this morning when I was spraying their backyard. Both probably in their late twenties & both were wearing skimpy bikinis. It was only about 60 degrees, but they were out of the wind & in full sun. I figure they were tanning so they could look nice at the bars this weekend. :laugh: One gal was the customer, and the other was her sister from out of town (both single -- yep, I asked them).

I wish I had my camera to post pics, but I didn't -- truly sorry. :cry:

BTW we wear white shirts with the 'red, white, & blue' AMERICAN Flag over our heart.

i wear royal blue and grey. oh yeah, this post is worthless without pics. :laugh:

Think Green
09-02-2009, 12:54 AM
For the past week, I have had the guys wearing those 3M Scotchbrite reflective shirts, while working around commercial beds and parking lots. We have too to keep from getting ran over by the elderly and cell phone yielding patients going to the doctor.???
We wear the yellow one's with the silver reflective bands around the waiste and over the shoulder's........you know???
I am telling you the truth, that every darn honey bee and wasp came right up and landed on our friggen shirts. Of course, we are working around Buddelia's, Abelia's, Knockout roses, and other flowering plants that usually don't cause us any problems while wearing white or grey colored apparel. My seasonal helper both wear AXE colognes or body sprays.......whatever, and these guys are swatting bugs like crazy. They may not attract women but they attract bugs!!!! LOLOLOLOL!!
Another funny thing is, I drive both Walker's from time to time, and the bugs seem to be attracted to the yellow color and the low humm of the engines. At least the ground hornets are attracted.... Holy Cow!
I will post some more statistical findings as the next week goes on, as we will no longer be working with these city official employee colors on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for making a funny about the orange colored shirts................
Here lately, the city has brought back the work release trustee's and they are all wearing safety orange dungarees. They are definately seen from the roads. These 4 crews were out using swing blades along the bypass ramps. Good to see that old tradition of hard labor for the payment of someone else's misfortunate hard labor...HUH?

Jay Ray
09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
try wearing a crimson red shirt in TN and see how many dirty looks you get....

LOL:laugh::laugh::laugh:

STIHL GUY
09-07-2009, 06:48 PM
i wear red shirts and they dont attract bugs or bees