PDA

View Full Version : best time to buy used mower?

Bryan B
08-28-2009, 11:56 PM
i'm planning on buying a 36" WB sometime before next season what time of year will i find the best prices on used equipment or is it just when the deal pops up? i have been looking on craigslist to see what deals are "normal" for my area but don't know when would be the best time to buy.

also which brands have the "better" 36"WB? i know everyone has their opinion just wanna know what ya'll have to say. which do u prefer and y?

Thanks,
Bryan B.

Raven386
08-29-2009, 12:08 AM
I don't really think there is ever a better or worse time to buy a used mower. The company 'Better' makes a quality machine for a good price. The rest is a matter of opinion. If you like the way exmark's cut quality is, then exmark is the mower for you. I would look into 'Better' mower brand. Do a search, there have been quite a few posts on them! Good luck!

Bryan B
08-29-2009, 12:17 AM
thanks for the input i didn't even know of a brad named better lol i have seen tons of threads on ZTR and what people like but hard to find one just about a good 36" and what to look for. residential lots and i'm in Florida

stevenf
08-29-2009, 04:46 PM
I use a 36" Scag belt drive as a primary unit. STAY AWAY FROM BELT DRIVE! It does get the job done and is alot cheaper then hydro. The price difference is worth the jump to get the hydro.
The "Better" mowers are on betteroutdoorproducts.com. You can get a dually hydro really cheap compared to other mowers. IMO they are worth the money. I have read more good things about them then bad. I have also tested one of the single hydros in person and it was built very well and left a beautiful cut. Only reason I went with the scag is because it was a demo on sale. Looking back I should have purchased the Better Dually for the same price.

Columbia Care
08-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I found that January and February was the best time for me. I found several area providers needed money to pay their taxes. Once you understand the amount they owe, you just estabished their bottom price and will know if it is in your budget. I bought a Torro Proline belt drive WB for a little of nothing this year - and I love it. Good Luck.

Ol'Dad
08-29-2009, 11:03 PM
I have a Gravely 36" belt drive w/ a 13hp Kaw and it has served me well. But if I had it to do over, I would buy the hydro dually. The belt drive tends to tear up a lawn if you turn too sharply or try to use it as a zero turn.

Bryan B
08-30-2009, 05:54 PM
thanks for your thoughts i am leaning towards the better 36" hydro. it's not much more than a used 36" and i'd rather know i have a new mower then buy a used one and take the chance of a breakdown at any time. i also like how short they are leaves more room on the trailer and less room taken up in my garage at night.

Raven386
08-30-2009, 11:53 PM
thanks for your thoughts i am leaning towards the better 36" hydro. it's not much more than a used 36" and i'd rather know i have a new mower then buy a used one and take the chance of a breakdown at any time. i also like how short they are leaves more room on the trailer and less room taken up in my garage at night.

Do a quick search on here, you will find quite a few posts/threads about their products. I don't think I have ever hear a negative one....Good Luck!!!