PDA

View Full Version : giant tree movers

kris
04-26-2002, 10:28 PM
I found this interesting...thought I would share it. Not sure if I should post their company name so I will call them "this company"

This company is responsible for what has been noted as one of the "largest tree moves ever." This company" has transplanted trees with root balls exceeding 40' in diameter and weighing more than 1 million pounds. That's the rough equivalent of 225 Chevrolet Suburbans!

The University of Tampa was looking to build a new student center, but had two grand oak trees right in the line of production. The situation called for either redesigning the project or moving the trees. "this company"was contracted to move the two trees about 300 yards away to shade A Spanish-American War memorial.

These trees carry special significance in that, during the War, Teddy Roosevelt was recorded to have slept under them. The trees' limbs stretch some 60 feet, and their root balls weigh about 600,000 pounds each. "this company" developed a strategic plan to safely handle the excavation and transplanting of the tree, which included smart vegetation and some 2,000 gallons of water a day.

kris
04-26-2002, 10:31 PM
sorry dont know how to get more than i pic on a reply

kris
04-26-2002, 10:36 PM
and another

kris
04-26-2002, 10:48 PM
Okay , Okay ..last one .

dan deutekom
04-26-2002, 10:49 PM
Now that is one heck of a ball and burlap job:D

I would love to be involved in a job like that!

Phishook
04-27-2002, 01:56 AM
WOW!
did they insure that job?
I heard of Disney Land doing large trees, but nothing like that.
I think they do every thing by hand though.

diginahole
04-27-2002, 07:53 AM
COOL........

I did heavy machinery moving for 6 winters, and was involved in some really big lifts but never a forty foot rootball. That's some serious rigging.

I haven't read the rules in a while, but I think you could post the company's name. I'd be interested to know who did it.

Stonehenge
04-28-2002, 12:55 AM
That is some amazing work!

kris
04-28-2002, 10:32 AM
www.treesave.com

real cool site ...check out the 125" tree spade.

Dan ...Me too ! I would work for free just to see the process etc.

dan deutekom
04-28-2002, 12:14 PM
Kris

When I was in the interior landscape busness the biggest trees we moved were about 30' tall Ficus nitida. They came from California and the root ball was in 72" x 72" x 48" wooden boxes. We put these into Phase one of the West Edmonton Mall. When we were there I saw the exterior landscapers using a tree spade to install 40' spruce outside. The tree spade was mounted on a tractor trailer. I don't know what size it was but it was the biggest I had ever seen. What amazes me is how fast they can dig and move a tree with this equipment. I wonder if any of those trees are still alive?

Dan

kris
04-28-2002, 12:21 PM
I don't know Dan ... next time I'm by with the camera I'll take some pics for you.

site
05-01-2002, 10:40 PM
If I could have my dream job moving trees like these would be it. I wonder what the crane operater's blood pressure is on a job like this?