PDA

View Full Version : discounts for Military families

americanlawn
08-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Does anybody else offer a price break for customers in the military?

We offer NO discounts just cuz "they're old", on "fixed income", or are trying to finance their first home. (sorry -- no senior discounts here, cuz "you all had your chance") Yet we give a price break for folks with military status (retired and active).

I figure folks who laid their life on the line defending our Country should get a break (sh$t - we figure that's the least we can do). Several sponsor employees on this site have also proudly served, and I was allowed the opportunity to meet some of them. TURFCO's Bob Brophy comes to mind for sure, as he put his life on the line many times during the Viet Nam, "war". If I lived closer to him, I'd spray his lawn for free everytime.

Bottom line: 'Old folks' that ask for a "senior citizens discount" -- we say "NO WAY", cuz they had many opportunities to improve their financial situation during several decades.

Are we right? (logical) rscvp, Thanks. :usflag:

a plus bob
08-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Pre-pay discount only . Never had a military person ask only had police and firemen ask for discount.I offer 10% in spring for pre-pay to all cust.

Service 1st Lawn Care
08-29-2009, 10:46 PM
We offer a 10% discount in the spring as a pre-pay, No discount for Policeman, Fireman. That is the career they chose, I chose lawn care their no better or worse then me. It's just what we all decide to do in life.

I do thank the folks who serve and have served in the Military for giving me the freedom to do what I love. THANK YOU:usflag:

FdLLawnMan
08-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Yes I do if I know about it. As of now I have one active military member that is getting a discount. I do not give senior citizen discounts. Shoot, most of them have more money than me.

jbturf
08-30-2009, 09:19 AM
i have the same input costs for all customers and output the same product,
so i charge the same amount

only exception is prepay or cash

grassman177
08-30-2009, 06:24 PM
pre pay only discounts here. we cant afford really to do it for less as we keep our pricing low to be fair and competitive. no room for loss

pvtwaggs14
03-11-2010, 11:05 AM
if you can afford to give up a little profit offering a military discount can be a huge boost for you. Im just a small little business that i do during the week. I have a full time job that i work second shift on as well. But I am in the Army reserve. I have posted a few flyers at our unit and had a few friends post flyers at there units and for me being in the service I know how hard it is for some of the families when someone is deployed. so my company has a few discounts

prepay for the year is 10%
10 referals years worth of mowing for free (have to have years contract)
military 10%
deployed military 25% if its to far away i do charge per mile

when you take care of the military they talk friends about you. and if a client gets you 10 new jobs you will make more off the new ones than what you will loose. In the end its just on how much you can charge and give that discount but not loose money in the long run.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I would give discount to military personell. Prob is, how do you know if they are active military.

I too don't give any discount for senior citizens, other than what is taken from me against my will in the form of taxes & distributed to them:rolleyes:... I'm not sure why they all think just because they "made it" to a certain age, everyone ows them. Why are they "more deserving" then a young family raising children???

When people ask for discounts, they immediately have a black mark against them. Those kind of people generally end up being pita customers or don't pay their bill on time at some point down the road. Not my ideal customers!

I give 5% off for prepay.

SeedPro
03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
You get what you pay for in my opinion. Some people are penny wise, but dollar stupid.

I give a 5% pre pay discount as well. Kudos to the guys that give 10% but that's really cutting into the bottom line if you ask me.

mruiz
03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I do!! This year I will be working on a project on a wounded soldier. I'm still working out the details. The soldier is out of my mowing area so I wouldn't be able to offer mowing but plan on doing a spring clean up.

More details on my website.
Mike

americanlawn
03-11-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm with you all. No discount for folks just cuz they're old, they had their chance. I feel more sorry for young folks trying to finance their first home.

Saw a window sticker today: "Land of the Free because of the Brave". I thought that said it all.

We have many customers who have a spouse in active military. Most of them are doing well financially, but a handful are living paycheck to paycheck.........those are the ones we try to give discounts to (if we know).

Close friend of mine was wounded 3 times in Viet Nam. He's out of our area, but I wish I could help somehow. Same with Bob from TURFCO -- he served in very heavy sh$t that nobody would want to experience.

Our younger daughter just joined the Army Reserve, and she's gettin' free mowing & sprays for free (from us).

Our older daughter would get free lawn care too, but she lives in an "association". Her husband is in Afganistan. Capt, 82nd airborne, cat I sniper, Ranger. Also served in Iraq and several black op's.

Bottom line - military personnel will ALWAYS deserve a discount from us. :usflag:

We chose the name "American" for our business for good reason. Problem is, you better live up to that "name". Trying our best to do so.

mruiz
03-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Well put americanlawn :usflag:

But it's all up to you the lawn care provider, if you want to give a discount or free service. It's doesn't make you a better person if you do or don't. We all have our reason for going the extra mile.

americanlawn
03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks mr -- Not looking to be a better person, just figuring to do the right things during my lifetime (before I die) cuz it makes me feel better. Actually, I have more respect for "innocent" animals than I do humans. People have choices in life -- animals (domesticated or wild) do not. Sad but true. :cry:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Good thread Larry - glad you are charitable toward our military and their families:)

I too only do season prepays and perhaps a small discount on a coupon I run in the local paper. No senior discounts, and I have been asked. I am glad their is some solidarity in thinking on here.....that just because you are now 'old' and have 'made it there', that you are (and this is the BIG word) ENTITLED to stuff. All folks (God willing) have 40-50 years to save for retirement - darn sure I am and I won't be living on a 'fixed income' or asking for senior discounts when I am that age - rather will be even more charitable helping others.

americanlawn
03-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks DA. I've never received "dime one" from the government (American taxpayers). Had to earn every penny myself. Started in the industry when I was 25. I'll be 56 next week. Put in lot's of hard work & some 90-hour work weeks to get where I am, so it wasn't easy. I'm sure my family suffered as well, cuz I worked from dawn to dusk too many times.

I feel blessed that our hard work paid off (wife & I). Now my goal is to help out younger LCO's, military families that truly need a break, and most important to me ..... "animals" (native & domestic). Our animal friends never ask for anything, just a little love & attention. They never complain, and "man" is their worst enemy. I've felt this way for over 30 years. I respect ALL of God's creatures. I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=americanlawn;3463871] Our animal friends never ask for anything, just a little love & attention. They never complain, and "man" is their worst enemy. I've felt this way for over 30 years. QUOTE]

Mmmm... I like animals too, they're tasty! Especially Deer :waving: