PDA

View Full Version : fall aeration for new spring business

Lasko's Lawn Service
08-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Currently I'm nonlicensed in the state of PA. This winter I plan on getting licensed. However, I got to thinking about how I could land some spring fert/squirt accounts early. One idea I had was some local advertising to for aeration/overseeding/fertilizing and trying to sell for spring once I did some work for them. Has anybody else tried this or am I getting ahead of myself?

americanlawn
08-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. I strongly suggest you have a listing in the Yellow Pages. Can you apply winterizer fertilizer this fall before you get your pesticide license? (I don't know what Pennsylvania laws are)

Lasko's Lawn Service
08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Has anybody else had any experience with this method?....thanks for the tip...a quick check of my local yellow pages yielded only one major company doing weed control.

kirk1701
08-31-2009, 12:07 AM
Has anybody else had any experience with this method?....thanks for the tip...a quick check of my local yellow pages yielded only one major company doing weed control.

And chances are that's TruGreen :drinkup:

If thats the case your in business

LawnoftheMonth
08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
That sounds like a great idea, best of luck with it. Dont forget to do door hangers.

Lasko's Lawn Service
08-31-2009, 11:00 PM
You know its not truegreen....its a local pesticide company called Ehrlich....guess they are bigger than I think though....

mikesturf
09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
I started out only planning on doing aerations (part time). Pasted out plenty of flyers door to door. As I was aerating a lawn, I would ring door bells at all the neighbors. Try to aerate on the weekend when people are home.

MANY, MANY people asked me if I could give a quote for fertilizing. Did some research, got my lisence and now I'm so busy I'm turning away business.

Big thing, read as much as possible over the summer about lawn care. Learn about grubs, diseases, crabgrass, weeds, etc. Do Google searches on all the states near you that have extention offices. Purdue University has a great monthly newsletter. Become an expert, you will be surprised at how little your competition really knows (at least the people they send out to do apps). Most big lawn care companies PISS OFF people by trying to upsell them at every turn.

GravelyGuy
09-03-2009, 01:07 AM
I was busted(no fine, stern warning) for advertising fert/weed control before I was licensed. I did not apply anything before I was licensed, but it was a no go to advertise. Just something to think about.

mngrassguy
09-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. I strongly suggest you have a listing in the Yellow Pages. Can you apply winterizer fertilizer this fall before you get your pesticide license? (I don't know what Pennsylvania laws are)

Good advice. Make sure you don't need a license to apply fert in PA. Here, you need a license for fert but there is no testing. Just pay a fee and show you have insurance. Advertise without a license and they will be on you like flies on spit.