PDA

View Full Version : "staining" - Trimec 992 vs Mecamine-D

americanlawn
08-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Both sport the exact same ingredients, but the 992 is much darker in color than the Mecamine, and they even smell different. So --

1) Mecamine-D is a more "clear" product that tends not to stain (as much) when spraying on siding & foundations.

2) Trimec 992 is much darker, so it tends to leave stains on the sides of buildings.

I figure the difference must be in the way they manufacture their stuff. :confused:

On the other hand, neither of the above herbicides kill difficult weeds for sh$t, so we spike with Chaser ester. :cool2:

Anybody have opinions? rscvp, thanks. :usflag:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Always had the same thoughts about Triplet-same as MecAmine D, but smells stronger & is much darker. Never noticed the staining, though...

grassman177
08-30-2009, 06:19 PM
i always thought real trimec 992 did better despite the same ingredients. Rodney will chime in and tell you otherwise and that is great for hime, but everytime i use a generic i get less results.

greendoctor
08-30-2009, 06:43 PM
There is a difference in how "clean" 2,4-D amine is. The odor is related to purity as well. Some, I have seen looked almost like soy sauce, others were a golden liquid. Does not matter to me either. The weeds I have to kill all call for ester applied when it is not 90 and humid. To me, ester smells much less noxious than amine as well.

CHARLES CUE
08-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I to have noticed the differce in color between 3 ways i think some times it's the insert matter not the AI let's take speedzone they say it's the same as 3 way and quicksilver but mix 3 way and quick silver and spray a dandelion some times it can take sometime for it to die not a hard weed to kill but spray a dandelion with speedzone and its down in 24 hrs there's some more there than what's on the label
Larry do you get paid to ask these Questions or do you sit around and think them up
My 2 cents
Charles Cue

grassman177
08-30-2009, 08:55 PM
thought the same thing mr cue. interesting those things, becuase i used to mix alot more before they started doing it for us and it works better!!! pretty good deal if you ask me.

greendoctor
08-30-2009, 09:02 PM
There is also a big difference between Speedzone and Three Way. Speedzone is made with 2,4-D ester and dicamba acid, Three Way is all amine. Adding Quicksilver to the mix of Three-Way does not do much to the biological activity of it other than possibly making it absorb faster. I roll my own Speedzone with ester, Banvel and Quicksilver. It does not work the same as the PBI Gordon product because Banvel is not dicamba acid. But it works well enough for me to continue to use it.

CHARLES CUE
08-30-2009, 09:36 PM
There is also a big difference between Speedzone and Three Way. Speedzone is made with 2,4-D ester and dicamba acid, Three Way is all amine. Adding Quicksilver to the mix of Three-Way does not do much to the biological activity of it other than possibly making it absorb faster. I roll my own Speedzone with ester, Banvel and Quicksilver. It does not work the same as the PBI Gordon product because Banvel is not dicamba acid. But it works well enough for me to continue to use it.

I realise speedzone is a ester but i have never seen much difference in control between ester and amine in my experience I here you say you have to use ester but i dont live where you do but some weeds you have to hit twice
Charles Cue

Whats with Mr Cue do i look old on here

grassman177
08-30-2009, 10:22 PM
yup, alol old farts here, ahahah.

ted putnam
08-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I've only had 2 things cause staining. Pendimethalin and Iron. If you are staining things with Trimec I would say you need to worry more about the turf you are toasting than the siding on the house because you are mixing way to strong if there are stains.

Service 1st Lawn Care
08-30-2009, 11:31 PM
I have used Trimec 992 for years and have never noticed staining, but then I'm spraying the Turf and not the sides of buildings. Good all around product, just not sure your suppose to spray buildings I don't think that's on the label.:clapping:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-30-2009, 11:40 PM
I have used Trimec 992 for years and have never noticed staining, but then I'm spraying the Turf and not the sides of buildings. Good all around product, just not sure your suppose to spray buildings I don't think that's on the label.:clapping:

I wasn't gonna say anything but, you said it...

:laugh:I was thinking the same thing:laugh:

ted putnam
08-30-2009, 11:55 PM

I was thinking the same thing while hitting the "submit" button on my last post. I thought" What the hell is he doing spraying the sides of buildings anyway??" I about lost it when I read yours and Liberty's posts...:laugh::laugh: Y'all are killing me!!!

americanlawn
08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Okay of some of you guys are giving me a hard time now, but that's alright. :usflag:

We used to get a few service calls back when we used alot of humic acid (coffee brown in color) in our liquid fert. Add the 992 (coffee brown in color), and you see spray brown residue on siding & white fences. I admit that we thoroughly spray "the edges" where most of the weed pressure is, so it's not uncommon for us to get spray six inches above the ground --- heck lots of times that's how high the grass is anyway. :laugh:

Mecamine-D is "honey-colored", and the 992 is "dark brown", so I'm figuring the way to go is with Mecamine-D if the results are the same. Good luck finding a chemical rep or a landgrant university guy that can explain this stuff. That's why I thought I'd ask you rascals. :laugh: