PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina (Charlotte) Yards

Powerws
08-30-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm wanting to take control of my yard and don't have a lot of experience. The yard guys I've hired in the past mowed my yard with mowers cutting Bermuda, crab grass ect. Needless to say my yard looks like crap! Crab grass, red weeds, chick weed an d every other kind of weed. I have been spraying it out with round up to kill it all! Starting all over AGAIN! I waant a full fescue yard. I guess I need to do a soil test? Which/what kind? I need tips. What is the best kind of seed? Should I kill the entire yard, because there is chick weed in the little bit of fescue I do have. Man,........... I appreciate any and all help.*trucewhiteflag*

stephen424
08-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Send me a private message with your email address. I live in Charlotte and have my own business. I can help you
Posted via Mobile Device

JERELG
09-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I live in Monroe and have close to the same problem. You can get a soil tast done by sending it to southern states . That took about 2 months to get results or go lesco/john deere landscapes they said it only takes 2 weeks for results. Never the less I'm killing my yard and starting over.

benjammin
09-25-2009, 03:14 PM
NC State / NC Ag Ext does free sample analysis. Your local Ag Ext provides the sample boxes and you can drop the box back off at the ag ext or mail it in directly. Here's the sampling instructions (also availble at ag ext office): http://www.soil.ncsu.edu/publications/Soilfacts/AG-439-30/

anotherturfgeek
09-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I use southern states premium tall fescue blend of seed. Since you done a complete wipeout of existing lawn, Be sure to wait 3 weeks to re-seed. I would go 8-12 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. of seed, 40-70 lbs of lime per 1000, and use starter fertilizer for the sq.footage you have for coverage.
You really also should till entire lawn first, till in lime, add seed/fertilizer then lightly rake in and add wheat straw in that order. Be sure not to get straw to thick.A straw shooter works really well.
You are cutting it close on time for the soil test before frost. I would wait till next spring for the soil test.
I also use a 100% organic solution Turf Pro liquid after it sprouts. It acts like a root booster. visit turfprousa on the web.
This product is very very good stuff. The key to a very healthy lawn is to get the grass very thick to crowd out all weeds from growing. Also visit the turf files at NC State University website for other helpful tips.