PDA

View Full Version : starter wiring? need help hooking it up!

shutzero
08-31-2009, 10:07 AM
just need to know where everything should be connected to!

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
The black wire needs to be mounted to that threaded hole behind it with a screw, The white wire needs to be hooked to any wire that has power when the key is turned to the run position. I would add a 20 amp in-line fuse between the regulator and power source just to be safe.

Black; Regulator ground.
White; Regulator feed.

shutzero
08-31-2009, 07:51 PM
So the white wire goes to the battery?
Posted via Mobile Device

shutzero
08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh wait positive terminal goes to the switch then from the switch a wire goes to the white wire?
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
from the switch a wire goes to the white wire?

Bingo !!! With the fuse between the two...... Thumbs Up

shutzero
08-31-2009, 08:30 PM
And the negative terminal from the battery gets grounded on the frame?
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Whoooa...... Lets back the truck up a little.....

I explained how to re-connect the voltage regulator you posted the picture of.

The large negative battery cable always goes to a frame ground.....

Are you saying now there's more needing hooked up ?

The large positive battery cable goes to a large post on a frame mounted solenoid while another large cable goes from the other large post on the solenoid to the post on the side of the starter.

Along with the large positive battery cable on the solenoid goes a smaller wire with a in-line fuse to the post on the back of the ignition switch marked with a "B"

shutzero
08-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Now I'm confused lol
Posted via Mobile Device

shutzero
08-31-2009, 09:10 PM
ok im confused haha. what is shown is all that i have currently on the mower. so i need a battery.

so lets take it step by step because im not catching on quick enought haha

1) battery negative grounded to the frame.
2) battery positive to solenoid (where do i get this?)
3) solenoid to large post on starter
4)new starter switch to solenoid
5) white wire to the "on" switch that runs to the coil

shutzero
08-31-2009, 09:14 PM
or instead of running 2 switches, i can run a single switch that works like a car ignition? because my "on" switch that is on the mower now that cuts ignition, or allows ignition only has 2 positions. it dosnt have a "start" position

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 09:21 PM
OOOK,

Now I see what you gotta do..... To save confusion give me a little time and I'll either find a diagram or make one......

shutzero
08-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Ok thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 09:53 PM
OK,

This is the easiest less expensive way to wire your electric start.

Use 6 gage wire from the battery to the push button switch then from the switch to the starter. Also use 6 gage for the neg battery to frame. Use 14 gage wire from the battery side of the switch to your white regulator wire.

Just leave the existing toggle switch to shut the engine off, Any Snapper dealer should have the push button switch. Wire/cables connectors etc can be picked up at any auto parts store.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Snapper/SnapperRERWireHarness2.jpg

Good Luck !

shutzero
09-01-2009, 07:25 AM
ok i got it. whats a good size battery to get?

shutzero
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Is that snapper part number what I would need for a switch
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
09-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Any lawn tractor size battery is fine, About 18 bux at Walmart. Try to stay away from the smaller motorcycle sized batteries.

That is a wire diagram for a older Snapper rear engine rider, I know for fact that part number switch will function as intended for this application. Other switches (auto parts stores) may look the same but could have different amp ratings ?

You can get a direct replacement aftermarket switch using the Snapper part number at any local mower shop or on-line parts store that handles Rotary-Stens or Oregon aftermarket parts.