PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tiger engine spuddering - 27hp Kohler -HELP!

Matt1034
08-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Saturday I pulled my mower onto my lawn which is on a hill but nothing mentionable. Not the first time I have done this. Ran fine as always. About 30min later I tried to crank it after sitting and it wouldn't start. Strange, I thought since it had been sitting on the hill and my tank was down to 1/4 maybe the gas had drained from one side so I added gas. Didn't help. I was able to finally get it started but only by keeping it at half throttle. I replaced the plugs, air flter and fuel filter and now it will idle but I have to move the throttle very slow or else it will stall. At idle it sounds normal but from half-full throttle is spuddering some almost like it is starving for gas. I can't think of anything else this could be considering this issue started randomly. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could check?

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Sounds like it may have picked up a piece of trash in the main jet while sitting at that angle, It definitely sounds like it's starving so I would check/clean the carb......

Matt1034
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
I am not a pro at this so I may be missing something but I pulled the intake inlet off and could see nothing down in the carb. Is is possible I could be missing it? Next step if this is not it would be to check the gas line on the side that connects to the take.
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Post the spec number off the white sticker on the flywheel cover so I can see exactly what you have.

Matt1034
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Where is the flywheel located?
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 08:29 PM
The flywheel is under that big black cover on the top if it's a vertical engine, On the front if it's a horizontal engine. The white sticker is on this big black cover.

Matt1034
08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
I checked and there is no white sticker. What are you looking for exactly? Maybe I can find it elsewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Post the spec number off the white sticker on the flywheel cover so I can see exactly what you have.

The engine specification number is what I wanted, With that I could look up your engine and see which style carburetor you have. Then I could post a complete break-down of the carburetor and show you what needs to be cleaned.

The complete carburetor needs to be taken off the engine then taken all apart and the below cleaning process performed. By what you posted, Doing this sounds like it will solve your problem.

Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then blow it out with compressed air if available then re-assemble, Check/clean the fuel tank and flush/replace the fuel hose and install a new fuel filter.

Matt1034
08-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Ok, I will get the model number tomorrow evening. Thank you for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt1034
08-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Engine model number is CH740S - it is a Kohler in case you missed that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt1034
09-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Now it won't start at all..